Skip to main content

'23 Breck Epic - Travel, Fri, Sat

 
8/10 - Thursday
We got up around 2:45am to leave for the airport at 3am. We are so thankful that Karel's mom is here through all our trips to take care of our furry crew. We made the 30 minute drive to the GSP airport and Karel dropped me off w/ our suitcases and bike cases before parking the car in the economy lot. I've booked all of our GSP trips for the first flight out as it makes for smoother travel with less chance of delays/cancellations. The check-in process was smooth and no issues (or charge) with our bike cases on Delta since we have all of our checked bags/bikes at 50 lbs. I love traveling with Delta as they are reliable and always kind and helpful. 

TSA was quick thanks to our pre-check status (highly recommend for the one-time payment of $85 for 5 years). We were through security shortly after 4am and waited for the Centurion lounge to open at 4:30am. I was able to get a little work done on the computer in those 30 minutes. Thanks to this credit card, we have lounge access at Delta Sky Club, Centurion and many others, which makes for a more enjoyable travel when we have access to a quiet place to work (with free Wifi), unlimited food and as many espressos as Karel wants. 

We had a little over 2 hours in Atlanta so we want to the Delta Sky Club and had breakfast and got some work done. Then it was time to board our flight to Denver. Our flight was ~50 minutes delayed due to storms but otherwise, it was a smooth morning of travel. 

I got my period the day before we left. For some reason, this months cycle left me feeling really awful. I mention this because the flight from Atlanta to Denver had me feeling really stiff and my right knee was really bothering me for some reason. The 3+ hour flight to Denver was uncomfortable for me and I couldn't wait to get up and walk around outside. 

When we arrived in Denver, Karel collected our suitcases and bikes and I took the shuttle to the Peaks Parking lot to get our rental SUV (I reserved on Turo as it was a lot cheaper than renting a car at the airport). I found the SUV, put my bag in the backseat of the car, plugged in my phone from the passenger side (after folding down the backseats) and went to the drivers side to get in the car to pick up Karel. When I went to the driver's side door, I couldn't get in. The door was locked. Before freaking out, I rushed to the passenger side. Locked. I checked all doors and the trunk - locked. Somehow, the keys were in the car and the car was locked. I panicked. I didn't have my phone and I had no way of reaching the owner of the car or Karel. Thankfully, there was a guy cleaning out a car a few rows down and I asked if I could use his phone to call Karel. The guy mentioned there was a free service for lock-outs so he let me borrow his phone to call. I thought I was going to be saved by this service but the lady on the phone told me that because it wasn't my car, she couldn't order the service. At this point, I feel completely helpless and I started to cry. She passed me over to the manager and he was very helpful after I told him the situation. Around an hour later, someone came and unlocked the car (which was pretty impressive to see :) I finally picked Karel up after 12:30pm (over 90 minutes after we landed). 
I was so exhausted from everything but Karel helped me through it all. 




Karel was really tired so I started the drive. We stopped for lunch around 50 minutes into our drive at a Himalayan restaurant. It was SO good. We love this type of cuisine (so many great flavors) and enjoyed a basket of Naan and we each got a delicious bowl of curry (mine had chickpeas and Karel had chicken). 


After we ate, we drove to Frisco and met up with our friends Peggy and Anthony as they were driving to Avon. We chatted for about an hour outside of Starbucks. It was so nice to see them (and meet their dogs). Around 4pm, we drove across the street to Safeway and got a lot of groceries for our apartment and then drove into Breckenridge. The air was refreshing at 9,600 feet. 

We checked into the Beaver Run Resort (host resort of Breck Epic) and unloaded all our stuff in our room on the third floor. I really wanted to do some type of exercise but my knee was really bothering me. We opted to take a walk but then it started to rain. I guess it was a sign to rest. I unpacked my stuff, we had a light dinner and then went to bed around 9pm - we were exhausted. 


8/11 - Friday
Karel had a hard time sleeping but I slept pretty good. I woke up around 6:30am (Karel was up around 5:30am). We spent a few hours working and Karel built the bikes in the morning. I was craving a swim but unfortunantly the local rec center pool (2 miles away) was closed for renovations. The next option was ~15 miles (~30 minutes) away in Silverthorne. At least I had another option. I drove to the pool around 10:30am and purchased a 6-visit pass for $70 (normally one visit would be $14). It was really important to me to swim throughout our trip, even though the pool location wasn't ideal. Swimming at 9,000+ feet was challenging and I needed to give myself a lot of rest. I wasn't able to do any intervals so I just focused on swimming easy and moving my body. The aquatic center was very impressive but the lap pool only had 4 lanes (and was warm). I swam 4,600 and then went to the hot tub to stretch. while I was out for my swim, Karel did a 3-ish hr, 25 mile mountain bike ride on the first stage of his event. He said it was really technical. 

After the swim, I picked up a few things at the grocery and then drove back to Breckenridge. At least the drive was really pretty. In the afternoon, I went for a bike ride to spin my legs. I was so impressed with the bike paths around the area. I biked 2 hours (35 miles) from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain - all on a bike path. It was incredibly beautiful. It felt really good to spin my legs. I wanted to do a short run off the bike but then it started to rain. I guess it was a sign that I needed one more day to let my knee calm down. It was nice to have a full kitchen (minus an oven) in our studio. The resort was like a hotel but the studio made it feel more like an apartment. We walked around in the evening and then went to bed around 9pm. Suprisingly, I was sleeping much better than I anticipated at altitude. 





8/12 - Saturday
I was planning a long ride to Loveland Pass (12,000 feet) this morning but the weather forecast didn't look ideal. I wasn't sure how my knee would do with a run so I spent some time doing ECFIT mobility and foam rolling before I went for a run around 9am. Karel left a little before I did. Since we were staying at the top of a hill, all of our running was net downhill to start, then a tough run back uphill to where we were staying. The terrain is very deceiving too as it doesn't look hilly until you start running or biking up the incline. It's more like a false flat. My knee ended up being just fine for the run and I was so thankful that I took those two days to let it calm down. I think my hips/SI joint got irritated from all the sitting and due to my period (loose ligaments). I ran 5 miles out and back and I could really feel the altitude coming back. I had to do a lot of walking. I wasn't worried about pace but just focusing on staying fueled/hydrated and enjoying the run. I ran 10 miles in 1:28 with almost 1000 feet elevation gain. I got a bit of work done before heading to the pool (30 minutes away) later in the afternoon. I swam 4000 yards and it felt really good to loosen out after the morning run. The aquatic center was really busy with kids playing on the slides and in the various pools but thankfully the lap pool wasn't too busy. While I was swimming, Karel picked up his stuff at registration and then attended the nightly meeting at 5pm (to learn about the upcoming next day stage). Karel made pasta for dinner (he made chicken for himself and I cooked a Beyond Beef burger).