Skip to main content

Get inspired - Garden Salsa

I have several cookbooks. Ok, I confess...I only look at the pictures. I'm not one to follow recipes.
On my birthday Karel took me to Capital Grill for a super yummy dinner. When there is an occasion to eat out (primarily when we travel), I like to look for places that offer more than just a filling salad. As much as I love salads, I eat them all the time. When I eat out, I want something different. Something that will inspire me for when I make Marni-creations at home.
Rather than getting a $12 spinach salad (that would likely leave me hungry after the meal, making me wonder why I spent $12 on a meal only to eat again after I left the restaurant) I asked the waitress if the chef had any vegetarian options. Having been there once before, I was hoping that the chef had his "tofu plate" which I LOVED the last time we went to Capital Grill for our anniversary.
Happily, the chef prepared me the most yummiest tofu plate which I enjoyed with a beautiful basket of different breads. The tofu was grilled and served with a citrus glaze, served on a bed of white rice and topped with an assortment of grilled veggies. My tummy was happy and I left the restaurant very satisfied.




For my birthday, I received a colorful basket of fresh, garden veggies from my community nutrition preceptor. I consider myself a lucky person when my friends know exactly what to get me for my birthday. Vegetarian cookbooks and fresh veggies!



I've been coming up with all sorts of creations with my bag full of veggies. Something great about fresh produce deliveries (if you have the opportunity to have veggies delivered to your door) is that you are forced to be creative and use what you get.

The other day I made the most delicious salsa which served as a base for Karel's tuna salad and my tofu salad. In our house, Karel and I eat similar foods but in different quantities. When it comes to me being a vegetarian, the only thing that differs in our diet is that I don't eat meat or fish....in other words, there are no foods in Karel's diet that are "off limit" in my diet. If you are a vegetarian or are trying to eat a more powerful diet (filled with nutrition quality), avoid telling your friends/significant other/family that they should eat less meat. Rather, try to be a good role model and share your excitement for fruits and veggies. For when we create wholesome and balanced meals, it isn't about eating less meat but rather eating more nutrient-rich foods like fruits and veggies.

I hope you enjoy my latest Salsa creation which you can use as a topping to a bed of dark greens or as a snack with cheese. I used primarily fresh produce as well as canned beans/chickpeas and pickles. Everything else is fresh! Feel free to add your choice of protein (meat, fish, tofu, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, veggie burger) as a perfect balanced meal.
(Remember, I don't measure....you can use as much as you want as you can't go wrong with leftovers when it comes to having too many vegetables in your fridge)
Garden Salsa
Celery
Carrots
Black beans
Chickpeas
Corn
Tomatoes
Garlic
Onions
Pickles
Green peppers
Garlic (chopped)
Fresh basil
Fresh cilantro
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp olive oil
Pepper