Skip to main content

Traveling eats: Trimarni style


Who said it was hard to find veggies while traveling? 

Early Thursday morning, Karel and I headed to Pittsburgh for my brothers wedding. 


We traded our spandex for our bridesmaid and groomsman outfits and danced the night away.....well past our bedtime. 

Keeping with a healthy relationship with food and making sure I eat for fuel and for health, my body was extremely happy during my travels to and from Pittsburgh. 

Here are a few (of many) of my delicious traveling eats.....

My number one way to maintaining a healthy relationship with food and the body is to never give the body a chance to experience low blood sugar. In route to Pittsburgh  and there were two endurance athlete bodies on board feeling great before  breakfast in ATL: wasa cracker with PB and raspberries at 4:40am, long doggy walk and core/hip work (in place of cardio today) at 5-5:30am and a Trimarni bag of yumminess (and water bottle to be filled after security) including a 7:30am snack of my fav Greek yogurt and trail mix.


Yummy! Trimarni whole wheat pita sandwich with Smuckers natural peanut butter, plum jam, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and sliced apples and a side of banana.

I'm was so inspired by this amazing delicious wrap from the Pittsburgh airport. A whole wheat Mediterranean wrap  from Currito with tofu, brown rice, mango salsa, cucumber, feta cheese and balsamic. Karel got the same wrap but with chicken. Yum!

With no cardio on Thurs, a morning run on Friday (in 65 degrees!!) felt amazing and our hearts were beating hard on the hills! Elliptical warm up, then 3x8 min hill repeaters with 5 min downhill recovery (2 min walk in between each round) and then 10 min of core work. Karel and I loved the hills in Pittsburgh but oh boy were my quads speaking to me on Sunday!


Post workout, hotel cold breakfast buffet (not pictured - me eating Karel's eggs from his hot breakfast). 

After a very late bedtime due to a night full of dancing at my brothers wedding on Friday night, it was great to sleep in and then head out for a 15 mile run in the rain. 
Body happiness  in the rain and on the hills. Fueled from delicious wedding eats, I enjoyed a strong 15 mile, 2 hour run in Pittsburgh. 5 flat miles on the treadmill to warm up, then 10.3 miles outside (average pace 8:12 min/mile including walks). Main set outside: 3x3 miles RPE 7-8.5 (descending effort each mile) with 1 min rest in between. Saturday was the official, 3-week countdown,21 days til the Ironman World Championship!!!


Looking for a great place to refuel at the Atlanta airport? I recommend Willy's Mexican Grill in terminal B. I had the Willy salad with cheese, salsa, corn, cucumbers, cilantro, jalepenos, black beans and marinated spicy tofu and Karel had a spicy chicken burrito with beans, rice and all the same toppings. What a great meal that totally hit the spot in the belly. I love a hearty salad that leaves me satisfied and happy.



Now back at home, it's nice to be back to the routine and in the Trimarni Kitchen. 
With a 2.5 hour recovery spin on Sunday (no long bike due to needing a good night of sleep and waking up at 7:30am AND enjoying Karel's bday together), this morning I was recharged for a 4500 yard swim. 
Main set: 5 x 450's
#1-3 steady, #4-5 strong. 
1 minute rest in between. 
Then hip/core work and stretching. 

Post workout smoothie "meal" for fuel and for health.

25grams whey protein, milk, ice/water, fresh ginger, 1 celery stick, 10 baby carrots, small handful raspberries and kale, 1/2 orange, 1/2 banana, 1tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 ounce dark chocolate and cinnamon. Topped with raisin granola (there's more in there but it kept sinking as I was taking the picture. I love my crunch in my thick creamy smoothie).

And what better than to get out the crockpot for a delicious stew to make the house smell amazing. 
12-bean bag mix, 1 white onion, 1 large zucchini sliced, 2 squash sliced, 2 cups barley, 1/2 pot filled with water, 1 carton sliced washed mushrooms, 2 big garlic cloves chopped, 4 red potatoes sliced, 1 small can stewed tomatoes (no salt added), seasonings - pinch of salt, turmeric, chili, paprika, oregano.