Skip to main content

Athlete spotlight: Winston David - A professional cyclist who refuses to give up

 


Name: Winston David

Age: 29

City/State: Greenville, SC

Primary sport: Cycling

How many years in the sport: 15 years

What Trimarni services have you used: RETUL fit

-----------------------------------------------------------------



Describe your athletic background and how you discovered your current sport?

I saw the Tour de France in 2002 and thought it looked cool. I did my first race, Cyclefest in West Palm Beach, at the end of 2002 and was hooked.

Here is the story of my career. It is a long one because I have kept at it for a while and I refused to stop for some pretty bad setbacks.

I began cycling at 14 years old back in 2002. As a junior racer I was moderately successful. At the end of the 2006 season I had a string of wins in some regional pro 1, 2 races. At one of the races I won, The Buckhead Grand Prix, the entire Aerospace Engineering Group- Toshiba- JetNetwork Professional Cycling Team was present. After that race I talked with Aerospace for a few weeks and secured my first professional contract. In 2007 while riding for Aerospace I placed third in the first stage of my first National Race Calendar (NRC) stage race, The Tour of Virginia. A couple days later I didn’t have the energy to pedal a bike and was diagnosed with mononucleosis. Aerospace retained me for the 2008 season, but at one of my first races I broke my elbow. The bone became infected with MRSA, and I had to take a super strong IV antibiotic for two months and was told to stay off the bike for another month. Also Aerospace folded at the end of the 2008 season, so that was the end of my first stint as a professional. At the end of 2008 I married my wife Sara, and I still trained and pursued cycling. Without her support emotionally and financially it would have been impossible to continue. 

With three months off the bike I was nowhere near my previous level though. I raced locally in Florida for a couple years, but it wasn’t until the end of the 2010 season where I felt I was back at my previous level. At the end of 2010 I placed second behind Joey Rosskopf at the US100k Classic in Atlanta, but still could not secure a pro ride. I rode the 2011 and 2012 seasons with the Globalbike Team and raced a lot of the NRC events but didn’t have any stellar results. 

At the end of the 2011 season I was riding my TT bike on a flat and straight road in Florida at around 30mph when a car decided to turn left right in front of me. I fractured a vertebrae and my sacrum and was not sure if I would be able to ride again. 

After a couple months of not being able to ride and doing physical therapy, I learned I was still able to ride. However, I was frightened riding on the straight two lane highways that made up where I lived in Florida. My always supportive wife agreed to move to Greenville, SC where a lot of my Globalbike teammates lived. It is necessary to perform well at NRC (now USA Pro Road Tour) races because that is where the professional teams race. 

During the 2013 season I raced with the 706 Project out of Atlanta and won the Southeastern Regional Series. In 2014 I joined the Lupus Racing Team where we raced a lot of the NRC races. In 2015 Lupus obtained a UCI Continental License, so I was professional once again.

With Lupus, I had the opportunity to race some of the toughest races in the world like the Tour of Qinghai Lake and the Tour of Alberta. I would not have had those opportunities with any other team, and I am very grateful for all the opportunities Lupus gave me. Sadly at the end of the 2016 season Lupus folded.
For the 2017 season I will be racing with a team based in Greenville called the Palmetto State Medical Elite Cycling Team. We will mainly focus on crits and will do some road races with the amateur/ elite National Championships in Louisville, Kentucky a main focus for the year. I plan on making 2017 my best season to date.

What keeps you training and racing in your current sport?

I want to see how far I can push my body and the results I can achieve on the bike.



What do you do for work?

Coach Cyclists and race for Palmetto State Medical Cycling team.

How does your work life affect training and how do you balance work and training?
I am fortunate that I have my own business. I am able to work in the mornings and evenings and train in the nicest part of the day. I do find myself unmotivated to train some days. Cycling is a tough sport. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, and if we were not motivated sometimes we probably wouldn't push hard enough. On those days, I tell myself that this workout will help me to get stronger and to win races, so I usually knuckle down and make it through the workout. I have been training myself since the end of 2012.

Any tips/tricks as to how to balance work and training?

Don't stress if you miss a workout or are unable to get in a full workout. Consistently putting in the work for most of your workouts is the key to success. I've learned I need to stay consistent with training, diet, and rest. If I do not do those consistently I will not perform well. I have also learned to keep working hard toward your goals even if they seem impossible at times.

How do you balance your training with your partner? Any tips or tricks for keeping your partner happy while you train to reach your personal goals?

I have been married for 8 years. Without her support, it would impossible to continue. I could not do what I do without Sara. You need to find a balance of putting in the work and giving time to your partner. It is also very helpful if your partner supports your athletic goals.



Do you have a recent race result, notable performance or lesson learned that you'd like to share?

My best results to date came at the 2014 Tobago International Cycling Classic where I won the first stage and the overall. I also won the 2015 Rouge Roubaix. In my opinion Tobago and Rouge are equally good results.

What are your top tips for athletes, as it relates to staying happy, healthy and performing well?

  -Do things that make you happy. 
 -Consistently put in your training towards your athletic goals. 
 -Be consistent with your nutrition. 
 -Keep the people around you happy. 
 -Stay positive.

How would you define athletic success as it relates to your personal journey?

Always keep trying to learn. If you make mistakes learn from them. Take everything you learn and transfer what you learned into race wins.


What's your favorite post-race meal, drink or food?


Muesli soaked in unsweetened almond milk with cinnamon and a banana and an almond butter and banana sandwich.
What are your athletic goals for the next 5 years?

Win a US Elite National Road Race Championship and get a win at any USA Cycling Pro Road Tour Event.

What key races do you have planned in 2017?
North Star Grand Prix, McClellan Road Race, US Elite National Road Race, and SpeedWeek.

Where can athletes follow you on social media?