Skip to main content

Weekend catch-up and beany crockpot stew

What a beautiful weekend! The weather forecasted rain all weekend and instead we received clouds, comfortable temps for training and a few sprinkles from the sky.
My 2 hr and 45 minute bike on Sat included a lot of wind and with every interval into the headwind, I gave my legs a little pep talk that I would be enjoying the tailwind in a matter of time. This week has been a fantastic recovery week with just enough of tempo work and "schedule" to keep my body fresh and recoverying without too much intensity. After the bike I went for a leisurely jog, monitoring my heart rate as I went by feel on the run. 4 miles later, Campy was ready for his part of the run...a quick sprint around the block. Unlike me, Campy is a born sprinter!

This morning the wind was once again howling so decided to do my 90 minute pre-run bike warm-up on the road where I live...riding 4.5 miles each way for a few loops into the headwind and then enjoying the tailwind. I saw so many people outside on the run/bike path and it made me smile. Talk about motivation.

I made sure on my bike to keep a watchful eye on my power as riding 15 or 16 mph into the headwind is no fun for my competitive ego but when I see that I am pushing watts similar to my Z3 and Z4 zones, it is easy to back off and increase my cadence in a lighter gear. No need to prove anything on an easy bike ride.

After the bike I grabbed my garmin and headed out for a run. This time around, the wind didn't bother me so much as my legs were feeling fresh and I held a steady 8 min/mile average pace for 7 miles. The last mile was with Campy and like usual...it's a fast one!




(What a cutie!)
After an epson salt bath, followed by my 110% recovery gear, I made the most delicious fruity green whey smoothie:


3 baby carrots
1 stalk celery
1/2 tbsp fresh ginger
Dash of cinnamon
Small handful spinach
1 scoop whey protein (vanilla)
1 cup crushed ice (or 5-7 ice cubes)
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 cup fresh fruit (mango, apple, orange)
1/2 cup milk
4 almonds
3 large chocolate chips
water as needed

Blend together and add water to meet your consistency needs. Most of my smoothies make around 5 cups which is too much for me to eat alone so I typically consume a large glass (around 20-24 ounces) and save the rest for a snack (in the freezer in another smaller cup).
I like to top with smoothies with a little crunch so this time I used sunflower seeds and a little organic granola that Karel purchased yesterday from Native Sun.

As we finish up the weekend and welcome another week of work, life and training, get out your crockpot as it is time to make a delicious stew for a quick dinner or two (or three) or lunch. Leftovers can be used in a casserole, stir-fry or on top of a bed of dark greens.


I just discovered this "soup" from Campbell's and at 960 mg sodium for the entire 2 cup box, I figured this is too much sodium for a person to eat in one sitting but the perfect amount when added to the crockpot.

I didn't measure everything so my suggestion is to use equal amounts (to the eye) of the following, around 1 - 1 1/2 cups..or a layer of each in the pot.

Mixed frozen veggies (carrots, green peas, corn green beans)
Butter beans (frozen)
Red beans (bagged)
Chick peas (bagged)
Mushrooms (whole)
Red potatoes (4) - sliced in quarters
1 medium onion (sliced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
6 cups water
1 box (2 servings) of V8 garden vegetable soup
Season to taste - as needed

1. Combine all ingredients in crockpot and let cook for 8-10 hours.
2. Refrigerate when cooled to room temperature. The flavor intensifies after a day.
3. Top with a scoop of ricotta cheese for a creamy soup or your favorite cheese.