Skip to main content

Oakley Women Laguna Beach - day 1



For those who know me, I'd like to think that I have a lot of energy....but I often contain it inside me and release it when I compete. I am very competitive in my sport and with myself but as a strong-minded Type-A personality, I find I do my best, feel my best and act my best, when I am around passionate people....people who love life, have a lot of energy to give me and who allow me to be me.

Although this is only my second trip with the other 9 Oakley ambassadors as well as with several Professional Oakley Women athletes, sport marketing ambassadors and Oakley women staff, I can't help but feel like a better, more balanced person, when I am around such inspiring, passionate and positive women who absolutely love to be active. These girls love to be alive and they sure do know how to live life to the fullest.

We are all not triathletes, runners or snowboarders. We do not all have similar passions for a specific sport but rather, similar passions for how we choose to live our life.

Over the past year, but more specifically, since last June when receiving an amazing trip to Napa Valley for the Oakley Women fitness retreat, I have really embraced the campaign of Oakley Women of what it means to Perform Beautifully. Now, more than ever, I find myself in an amazing place in my life and really great balance for how I approach my day to ensure that it is worth remembering as a positive day.

I've always said that I am a triathlete who is more than just a triathlete. Triathlons are my lifestyle and Oakley Women has really shown me as to why I feel that way. Take away triathlon finishing lines and the pressure to succeed and I am still a woman who absolutely loves to be active. With Oakley's amazingly stylish, comfortable and quality line of sunglasses and gear, every day I am sure to remind myself as to the best approach to keep a balanced lifestyle, all while performing beautifully and remaining active.

For if I train too much and don't recover properly, I don't only risk the chance for injury, burnout or fatigue but I also risk the chance of losing my active lifestyle. Sure, an ITB flare up, piriformis ache or even a stress fracture may eventually heal, but with the healing comes a transition as to what we all dread in life......REST

I believe that we should all prioritize something more than being competitive, sticking to a training schedule or working out for a reason other than "healthy" as to why we get up in the morning, put on a fabulous outfit, choose the best gear and cheerish training/exercise as the best part of our day.....For no matter what you choose to compete in, we should all strive for a more balanced lifestyle, supported by a consistent dose of activity.

This morning was a new challenge for me as I not only learned to paddle board for the first time (Thanks to the amazing crew of SUP!) but I also did yoga on a paddle board, which was resting on two BOSU stability balls! After that hour of intense core strength, we took the paddle boards to the water and did yoga on the paddle board, in the water! NEXT, after that hour, we did fitness training on the paddleboard and learned that I have new muscles that I need to train....on the stable ground, in the gym :)

What an amazing day and a fabulous 3-hours of being active. No one says you have to be an Ironman, do marathons or ride your bike competitively in order to be healthy. Enjoy engaging your body on a daily basis and you may find yourself enjoying a bit more balance in your life, as well as an appreciation for your "real" training (if you are an athlete) and why it is so important to train hard and recover harder.

Looking forward to tomorrow.....for now, PICS!