Skip to main content

That's One Amazing Athlete-PERSON!

So, the last couple of days have been great. I've been consistent with my training, my leg isn't hurting and I have been 100% focused and motivated. I ran 6 miles on tues and followed the interval treadmill run with a 2500 swim and on wed I taught my spin and ran 7 miles at a very comfortable 7.2-7.5 mph pace. This morning I woke up early and headed out on the bike at 6:45am for a 30 mile ride with a few hard efforts. So with all this training, I can't sit here and think that I am the amazing athlete. Over the past couple of months I have been helping a guy named Tom Bassano with his nutrition. See, he isn't training for any particular race. He is running across the US!!!! I was a little shocked at first and just like when I tell people I do an Ironman and yes, it only takes one day, I kinda giggled and was taken back when he said he was going to run across the US. I met Tom after I spoke at the American Running Company in Dunedin (I love that store!) on nutrition for distance running. Tom came up to me and I was honored that he asked me to help him with his nutrition plan for this adventure. I was a little apprehensive because an Ironman was the extent of my nutrition planning for helping myself and others. I felt I could use the same science behind nutrient timing and glycogen loading but I had no idea what it would be like to run for almost 2 months straight! However, I was up for the challenege, I did my research on ultra running and of course I talked to the pro's at Hammer. Not only did i talk to hammer but they totally hooked Tom up with the best nutrition products and gear to help him out. I knew Hammer was the way to go when seeking endurance products. In addition to Hammer, however, I also recommended regular convenience food to satisfy Tom's hunger and cravings and prepare him for different environmental conditions. So after many nutrition plans and ideas Tom was ready for his trip out to California to start his run. Unfortunantly, several weeks before he left he was diagnosed with having a hip fracture which caused him to rest for a lengthy amount of time. But with many 30+ mile runs under his belt and the plan to walk/run and do 2-3 10 mile runs a day, I knew he would be able to start his run even with missing a week or so of training his body. I have been hearing from Tom every couple of days and he is doing OK. He is running between 50-70 miles a day and he has his wife and 3 kids supporting him along the way. He is doing very well with his fluids and enjoying his Recoverite after every run. Other favs for him is Tuna, candy and soup during the runs. During an ultra, I recommend being strict on your fluids and calories per hour but mostly taking in food which you can tolerate and tastes good. He said he likes the Apple and cinnamon Gels from Hammer which taste like candy. On the downside, he has had some swelling in his ankles (which is normal) and we decided to cut back on salty foods and focus on electrolyte tabs during the run, while still consuming carbs during the training. I have a feeling there is a little electrolyte imbalance going on and I'd rather him not overload himself with sodium chloride (table salt) and rather focus on all the electrolytes to balance out himself. That is why you don't always want to just salt food or consume salty food before an event in the heat. Even though Tom is running in cooler conditions (he was last out in Arizona when we spoke a few days ago) and is not running fast, it is still important to balance the electrolytes in the body. He is icing, elevating and popping some ibuprofen but i don't want his body to get use to "pills" as a relief system. He is heading towards Florida and should arrive in April so I will keep everyone posted. Besides running across the US, there is a reason for this run. Tom is raising awareness for the Jessie Lunsford Foundation-Jessie's Place. If you are from Florida I am sure you know of Jessie and that she was kidnapped from her house (very young girl) and was buried alive after she was tormented. It is a very sad story and the father of Jessie (mark lunsford) has been raising money to keep child molesters off the street. Tom is fighting his way across the US with the strength of many people who have delt with horrible child abusers and raising money for Jessie's Place which helps children who have been abused or neglected. You can read more at
  • Run For the Innocent

  • This is one amazing athlete!