Skip to main content

Eggs


Seeing that Easter is about the easter bunny, peeps and chocolate....
Just kidding. I guess I've been watching too many commercials and spending too much time in the grocery store.
During my 2 hour run on Sunday I was minding my own business qhwn I started to smell breakfast. I guess one too many houses were preparing Easter morning breakfast and I was getting hungry from the smell of bacon. I guess it wasn't good that I was enjoying the smell of bacon so after my run I ignored my tummy and went for a recovery spin with Karel on our bikes. Luckily, we rode away from the smells of breakfast and I was able to think clearly and plan my recipe for pancakes. Now that is a good vegetarian breakfast..not bacon!
Alongside my pancakes I always like a serving of scrambled egg whites (2 whites, half yoke and skim milk. The other half of my yoke, and 1 egg white, goes into my pancake batter). I started thinking about all the good nutrients in eggs so here are some fun facts about eggs...
1) Eggs contain all the essential amino acids, minerals and vitamins, except Vitamin C. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D, as well as good sources of Calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin A.
2) One egg white has 3.6 g protein and .5 grams fat. One egg yoke has 2.7 g protein and 4.5 grams fat.
3) The egg yoke is an excellent source of carotenoids (lutein and its partner zeaxanthin) which are great for your eyes!
4) Egg yolks contain the long-chain omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which is necessary for the brain and proper retinal function in the eye, and the long-chain omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid, which is required for the healthy skin, hair, libido, reproduction, growth and response to injury.
5) The color of the egg shell is not related to quality, nutrients, flavor, or cooking characteristics. White shelled eggs are produced by hens with white feathers and white ear lobes. Brown shelled eggs are produced by hens with red feathers and red ear lobes. Bown egg layers usually are slightly larger and require more food, thus brown eggs usually cost more than white eggs.
6) Eggs contain Choline, which is necessary for healthy cell membranes in the body. Choline regulates homocysteine levels (high levels of homocysteine have been linked to coronary heart disease, strokes, dementia in later life, diabetes, osteoporosis and pregnancy problems). Choline has also been to linked with preserving memory.
7) There are around 74 calories in an average egg and 77 calories in a hard boiled egg.
8) Eggs age more in one day at room temperature than in one week in the refrigerator. Eggs can be kept refrigerated in their carton for at least 4 to 5 weeks beyond the pack date.
9)Any food in excess is bad for the body. Eggs (along with other foods) may increase cholesterol and increase the risk of heart disease in some people, but moderation is key for everyone. If you are a daily egg eater, aim for 1 whole egg a day and enjoy as many egg whites as you choose.


Fiesta Egg Wrap
2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites (hard-boiled)
3-4 ounces (about half cup) whipped or fat-free cream cheese (softened)
1/3 cup salsa
1/2 cup chickpeas or beans
1/2 cup corn
1 jalapeno or 1/2 pepper (chopped)
1/4 cup shredded cheese
Whole wheat pita bread or wrap

1) In large bowl, mix together eggs, cream cheese and salsa.
2) Add beans, corn and pepper.
3) Spoon 1/4 - 1/3 cup mixture into pita or place mixture on tortilla and roll. Top with a little cheese.