Skip to main content

Another update

Sorry for the lack of blogs. School...you know, my most common excuse.
My hip was feeling better last week and managed to get in a longer run on wed and a short run on thurs. I was looking forward to a workout on sat but wasn't sure how it would go.
I decided to drive 1 mile down to the road to the Trek store because I wasn't sure exactly how I would feel for the workout. My plan was to bike and then do a long-er run. I would just run and stop if I hurt. The reason why I drove to the trek store was because I planned to run past my place and if I hurt, I could just go home, rather than having to walk my way back home for many miles.
I first biked 15 miles and felt great on the bike. Thank goodness my biking is still coming along. My run was ok when I started but by mile 2 my rt. leg went almost completely weak. Once again, no pain, just sudden weakness. The weird thing is that when I walk for a few minutes I can start running again pain free. Any thoughts on this one? I would think if I had a tear somewhere in my butt/hip, I would have pain. And with anything serious, why am I ok to run, stop and then run again. It is just the most annoying thing ever. I guess it could be from overuse so I made a decision to go back to my car. Running and walking for 5 miles. Rather than cutting my workout short, I decided to get on my bike. I ended up riding 25 more miles and the time just passed by. Probably because I was thinking about the possibility that I would not be able to compete at IMKY. I know it sounds silly but I will always re-live my first IM experience and my Kona experience. Now, I'm ready to race. I would never think or advise a newbie triathlete to race an IM, but I feel like my training has gotten me to a point with my fitness that I can compete in a long distance event. I don't want to have a limiter, such as a weak leg, to ruin my day. I just want to get out there and let my body and mind be in control and let the uncontrollables (not an injury) be my only weakness.
After the bike I wanted to run with Campy. Poor thing hasn't had a run in a week and we all know how Karel feels about running..."Why would you run if you have a bike?" or my favorite "Why are you running, is something wrong with your bike?" Gotta love him :)
I did a few running drills in the Trek store parking lot (as advised by my PT and friend Libby) and I was feeling really good. I ended up running easily back home and then another mile with Campy. Once again, I am just perplexed at this frustrating "injury". Campy was super happy to run and it just made me so happy to forget about my training and see him smile.
As for the rest of the day, I did my hip exercises and iced. Felt ok the rest of the day and no worse discomfort.
On sun, Karel and I did the group ride and with lots of strong riders there, I was impressed with my skills and speed. It was really tough and we averaged around 24-26 for the 60 mile ride. Well, my ride was cut short because I got dropped with about 10 miles to go. Bummer. The whole ride I was drafting behind Karel which was probably not the best idea. He had his TT bike so he was pushing really hard and it was hard to stay on his wheel. With 20+ people behind me I would give it my all to stay on his wheel but then I just couldn't hang on any more. I decided to pull out of the line when Karel was pulling but I knew I wouldn't be able to get back on. When the group is going 25+ mph, I have no luck trying to move to the back and then jump back on. Just too hard for me at that pace. Karel finished his pull and we both rode back to the car together. What a great hubby. I was a bit frustrated, had my share of tears but then all was ok. I was just frustrated cause I felt so good.
After the ride I had absolutely no discomfort in my leg. I didn't want to run and decided I would swim on Mon morning (did a 3000 + weights) and not run this week. I will keep my normal training volume (no need overdoing it to make-up for missed running time) and just omit the running this week. Hopefully this will help but I'm happy that I can still bike and swim.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone has similar experiences with no pain, no numbness, leg weakness only when running but after walking, I can run again.

Here are a few pics of the best sleeper in our house...