Skip to main content

Work hard, Play hard

REST A LOT!

I suppose that is my new motto...WORK, PLAY, REST.
I needed this planned recovery week with my IM training because I really wanted to knock out a handful of assignments for my dietetic program.
Each rotation (community, food service, clinical) I am required to complete several dozen assignments and projects. Some are more time-consuming than others. Throughout the course of my community rotation, I will be completing a project that involves the community.
After participating at the Unison Health fair on Tues, I was planning on speaking at the Lunch n' Learn on Fri at Unison. After finding out that I could do a power point and handout educational material at my talk, I spent Tues and Wed evening (after interning all day) as well as all of Thurs (my off day since I am required by my school to take 1 day a week to work on projects and not "intern") creating my powerpoint and designing a pamphlet.
I have always been a creative person but I have to say that I have fallen in LOVE with Microsoft Office 2010, the professional version. My creative juices were flowing and the new Office makes my life SO much easier.
I had a BLAST spending a good 10+ hrs on my power point presentation as well as my pamphlet and based on the comments after my talk (and the evaluation that I handed out to the employees) I think it all worked out. I also had everyone fill out the questionnaire that was posted on my blog and I received some great comments (although I have to say, only a few of the Unison forms were as detailed as the comments from my fabulous blog readers :)
I will be spending all of Aug working with a large handful of the Unison employees on their diets and hopefully encouraging my participants to support a more plant-based diet. This will be a lot of work but I'm excited to see the results.
I really enjoyed speaking to this group. Everyone was really nice and seemed really interested in making some healthy and balanced changes.










The workouts have been easy-cheesy this week. Just enough to keep me entertained since I truely love to exercise. Mon was off but that worked out well since I had to drive 44 miles to St. Augustine at 7:30am. After my BIG weekend last weekend, I needed some SLEEP!
Tues was an easy 1:15 spin on the trainer and I enjoyed catching up with some reality shows on my DVR. After the spin was a walk with Campy and then all day at the health fair.
My normal wed tempo run was replaced by strength training/core and I followed that 20 min. session with a good 4000 yrd swim. After breakfast I spent the day at the University of North Florida.
Thurs is typically an off/active recovery day but I choose to run. I decided to remove a few runs on Tues and Wed in an effort to ensure 100% recovery from my 18-mile run on Sun. 18 miles is a long way to run and after all that stress on my body, I just didn't want to risk an injury by squeezing in a 2-6 mile run. All I had to tell myself was that there would be plenty of more times to run in the next few weeks and that was enough to keep me balanced and enjoying my recovery week.
After an interval-ish 6 mile run at the Y (while watching the tour) I did a little machine-work and a little core and butt/hip work. I was feeling great on Thurs morning and it was nice to work on my computer the rest of the day.
I planned to swim on Fri morning but I was TIRED. Sleep comes first and I have to say, that rarely I miss a workout due to being too tired. However, staying up an hour later than normal really did me in on Tues, Wed and Thurs (I'm an 8-hr sleep kinda person when I'm training for an Ironman). I took Campy on a long walk on Fri morning and then rode the trainer (while practicing my talk) for 1hr 30 min.
The rest of Fri was BUSY! I arrived at Unison at 10:20 and my talk was scheduled for 11 until 12. I stayed to answer questions until 12:30 and headed straight to the beach to meet my preceptor (who came to my talk, I was SO happy she was there) for a busy afternoon of clients. We met with 3 clients and at 5:30pm my day was done!

Whewwww, what a week!
My friend Stephanie and her hubby came from Macon on Fri evening so that Karel could give their fabulous Trek bikes a little TLC. Since I didn't get home until 6pm on Fri, my poor little Campster was dying to see his mommy. I couldn't leave him at home so we power walked to the Trek store (1.2 miles) rather than driving to meet Steph, her hubby and Karel. We all went to The Loop Pizza and Grill for dinner and Campy was happy that they had outdoor seating :)
This morning was a ride at the beach so I gave Steph and her hubby a tour around Nocatee (bike-style) and then I joined the Lodge ride. It was windy and hard but I felt great. Just me and the guys but they were all super supportive and nice to me. I really love doing this ride because I feel stronger every time I finish (or don't get dropped) from this ride. I rotated almost the entire ride and my confidence was up. Thank goodness for REST!
After the ride I did a short 3 mile run (7:48 mim/mile average) and it was Super Duper HOT! Nothing like a cool-off in the ocean.





What a week! Well, I can't complain. I am really loving every minute and I wouldn't want my life any other way. Well, if I could bring Campy everywhere that I go, that would make me the happiest :)