Skip to main content

Life's too short

As I get closer and closer to finishing this chapter in my life (dietetic student becoming a RD), I can't help but think how quickly life has flown on by. For it was just the other day (albeit, a little more than 3 1/2 years ago) that I was considering pursing the RD credential in order to write books and improve my credibility as a sports nutritionist and exercise physiologist. And look at me now, I am so incredibly passionate about my future as a "dietitian" (whenever I pass the exam) and I can't wait to put my extensive education (backed by evidence-based research) to good use.

At the end of my 2-day Inman Review course (for an invaluable price of $365), Jean Inman gave us "future RD's" a little motivational talk telling us how hard we have worked to get to where we are today. Rather than thinking about failing the exam, having to wait 45 days to retake the exam, paying another $200 for the exam and then having to tell everyone that you failed, she instructed us to be confident...for this is the LAST step in our educational journey. For after we pass the National Registered Dietitian exam, we are immediately Registered Dietitians and we can start diagnosing and treating medical conditions. She told us to go into the exam feeling confident and to believe in ourselves that we have done EVERYTHING to prepare for the exam.

I suppose I am a creature who loves setting goals and overcoming obstacles in order to reach those goals. For whatever I do in life, I like to dream high and I never doubt myself. I have no trouble saying "I can't" but I never stop trying. Nonetheless, with every journey in my life, I am never without difficulty or stress. However, with that inability to control my external environment, I believe that I have great control over several things in my life. Specifically my diet, my sleep, my outlook on life and my exercise routine.

It is no surprise that by now you know my nutrition and exercise philosophy, specifically in regard to balance. In regards to nutrition, I have a feeling that many people (athletes, fitness enthusiasts and everyone else) stress and worry over weight on a daily basis (if not more). When it comes to injuries in the athlete or fitness enthusiast, I believe that many people carry a Black vs White attitude and when the dominate sport is forced to be removed, the entire passion for exercise is removed. This often makes me wonder...do athletes really understand the benefits of exercise or is the focus simply on Training for immediate results? For in life, there are no requirements suggesting that you must be an athlete in order to live a quality life and reduce risk for disease. You just have to move your body!

Over the past few weeks, I have quickly realized that life is short.....too short. We often set goals without thinking about the measurable outcome, thus causing days to pass on by with feelings of guilt, preceded by many excuses. Or, we let days days go by without spending just a little time (let it be a meal or an hour) working toward our goal. Or, we do the opposite. We set unrealistic goals which create a life of imbalance. Because we have no guarantees in life, we must not put off until tomorrow what we can start today. And believe me when I say that it is the little things that matter. For it isn't the start of the journey that feels the most rewarding, but it is in the end process. However, throughout your journey, which will help you reach your goals/dreams, it is important that you make the most of your days. If you are injured in your leg, you can still swim. If you have a knee and shoulder injury, exercise your brain (Sudoku anyone?). If you know it is advantageous to your health to get to a heart-healthy weight, there isn't a diet book out there that is going to help you reach your goal. For you may not know all the strengths and weakness's in your diet, you likely know a few of them which you can start on today.

I found this quote today and thought it was perfectly appropriate for all of us who have worked hard for something in life, but still desire more.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”