Skip to main content

Monday Product Review





GARMIN
My running dramatically improved once I got my Garmin 410.
















I also started to love running outdoors, once I was able to monitor my pace and distance. More than anything, my running had more of a purpose and I was able to be more consistent with my running. I think the treadmill is a great option for keeping pace but after all my hip issues, I have kept my running outdoors so I could really focus on my form and cadence. I am a firm believer in consistency, so whether you are using pace for running, HR or watts, it is important that you are focusing on quality training and not just how far you "need" to go. As far as HR in the summer, I find it is an extremely hard tool to use in order to gauge your effort. Therefore, for my athletes I have them monitor their HR but we focus on nutrition in order to be as efficient as possible, as well as specific interval workouts to improve the anaerobic threshold.
I think Garmin's (or running devices to measure speed, HR, pace, etc.) are very personal. Because there are many options, it is first important to have a price range and then consider what functions you want to use. Some gadgets are super fancy but for many people, just having pace and HR is all you need.
The 310XT and 305 are popular garmin's among runners so my suggestions is to ask your friends/training buddies as to what they recommend. My garmin (410) is not water-proof so that creates some difficulty for when I use it in a race. My garmin, however, is super comfortable and I like it because the face of the watch faces towards me so it is easy to see the numbers on the big screen. It is also super comfortable and reliable (just be sure to LOCK the screen when you are running).
For the bike, Karel has the Garmin Edge 500 which is perfect for him since he loves analyzing his (and my) files. His garmin tracks his distance, speed, location and elevation is compatible with a heart rate monitor, speed/cadence sensor and power meter.

















Oakley Women Clothing
I am so excited to write a blog (and post pics) on the successful LADIES NIGHT @ the Jacksonville Running Company on Friday evening. We must have had over 200 amazing and inspiring ladies come out to the event.
A big thanks to Hammer Nutrition, Iron Girl and Oakley Women for providing the most wonderful swag for the event.
As an Oakley ambassador, I was super excited to bring my clothes from Oakley Women, as well as my sunglasses to introduce to athletic and fit women, who share similar passions. While we all may do different sports, I believe we should all embrace the human body, love our body and of course, look good while using our body!!!
I invite you to check out the fabulous line of
Oakley Women clothing and sunglasses either at your local Oakley store or online. And don't forget to keep performing beautifully!
















































Craft Active Bike Short

My favorite brand of triathlon clothing is without a doubt, Louis Garneau. They make the most comfortable clothing that fits extremely well. I have a few tri shorts from Louis Garneau (LG) and Karel has several bibs from LG. Finding shorts with a good chamois (padding in shorts) is extremely important when choosing the perfect bike shorts. However, sometimes it takes a few rides outdoors (as riding the trainer is often different than the feeling of riding on the roads) to either love or hate your new bike/tri shorts.
As for other good brands that you may want to try, Bontrager has a 30-day Unconditional Comfort and Performance Guarantee on their clothing where you can try it out and it you don't like it, bring it back where you bought it, within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
Needing a few new pairs of cycling shorts for my last 6 weeks of Kona training, Karel picked up two cycling/tri shorts from the Trek Bicycle Store of Jacksonville. One was LG Women Pro Tri shorts (in Red - love them!!!) as well as the Craft Women's Active Bike Shorts.
Both shorts are super comfortable for an interval or long ride and I highly recommend either product.
Craft Performance Apparel
You can also check out OneTri for all your triathlon needs