Skip to main content

IMCA Race Recap: Pre race + 2.4 mile Swim

Photo: David McColm

Saturday was a smooth day. I woke up around 5am after a solid 8 hours of sleep. Since arriving to Whistler, I've been going to bed around 7:30pm PST (asleep by 8-8:30pm PST) and waking up without an alarm around 4:45-5am.

After my normal 2 waffles + syrup + peanut butter pre-workout snack, I headed out on my bike around 7:30am for an easy spin on the race course. I used the first 45 minutes to include a few efforts to wake-up the legs and then finished off the ride with a recon of some of the run course (easy spinning). Karel went out shortly after me and did his own thing but we unexpectedly saw each other on the run course (biking). I attempted a jog off the bike but I was still feeling some tugging in my adductor/groin so I didn't try to run through it. It left me a little sad with less than 24 hours before race day but I also reminded myself that I can't waste energy on something out of my control.

After our morning workout, we each had a big carb-rich breakfast at our place and then finalized the packing of our gear bags. I put out all my gear on my bags on Friday so it was easy to stuff the bags. I also pre-portioned my sport nutrition in baggies for the bike and run (and special needs) so it was easy to fill my bottles on Saturday evening (stored in the fridge overnight).

Around 11am, I walked my bike and gear bags to T2 (5 minutes away from where we are staying). I dropped off my run gear bag in T2 (two transition layout) and throughout this time, I sipped on 1 scoop NBS pre-load in a bottle of water. Karel rode his bike to the lake (T1) and I rode the bus. Our bikes were transported behind us on a Uhaul (wrapped in heavy duty blankets).

After arriving to the lake (about 20 min ride), Karel met me inside of the transition area. I had him give my bike one last look over before racking it on my rack. Karel and I were on the same rack, just a few spots down. 



To help clear my mind from the unknowns of the run, I decided to walk the 1.8 miles back to the lodge where we are staying. Whistler is incredible because of all of the walking/biking trails. And the sights are incredible. I really enjoyed this walk. While I knew it would be energy to walk (instead of taking the shuttle) back to our place, I felt like I needed to be in nature - and walking doesn't bother my hip/back - just hopping forward. 



As for the rest of the day, it was pretty low key. We chatted with a few of our athletes, Karel visualized with his music (in bed) and we ate and hydrated throughout the day. I had an early dinner around 5pm (eggs and Basmati rice) and I went to bed around 6pm and fell asleep around 7:15pm. I was really tired throughout the day - I couldn't wait to go to bed - but I know that's a sign that the body is ready to race. It's a weird feeling as it also feels like the body is too tired to perform but I've experienced this many times before and I know that when I am tired on the day before the race, it just means my body is doing it's final touch-ups before race day. 

Race morning came early with a 3:15am alarm. I slept fairly well until 12:30pm and then it was a bit of tossing and turning. Thankfully, I woke up fairly rested. After eating my normal pre-race meal (waffles, PB, banana, syrup) and sipping on NBS pre-load and a cup of coffee, I packed my bags with bottles and extra stuff for the morning and we left our place around 4:40am.

We walked down to T2 to put our run flasks in our bags. Because of the bear population, we were told not to put any nutrition in our bags/bikes until race morning. After getting body marked at the bus line and dropping off our special needs bags, we boarded the buses. Somehow Karel and I got on different buses after I dropped off our special needs bags but we met up at the race venue.

The bus ride was nice as it gave me an opportunity to relax my mind before getting to the transition area. After putting my bottles on my bike and my computer, I double checked my gears, brakes and tires (well, Karel did) and then it was time to get on the wetsuit.

It was in the upper 40's on race morning and I was a bit cold (even dressed in warm gear) so I opted out of a swim warm-up and instead, just stepped in the water and put water down my Roka wetsuit to help adjust it. I wished my athlete Ericka a great race and went over to the swim line-up after dropping off my morning clothes bag. My feet were super cold standing on the grass so I used a plastic bag to stand on before the swim start. I had a throw away bottle of sport nutrition (NBS carbo-hydration) that I sipped on in the morning and also took in an Enervitine cheerpack "gel".

I met up with Karel in the swim line-up as we both lined up near the front. I let Karel stand a few rows ahead of me as I didn't want to swim right next to him but instead, I wanted to be behind him in the case that I swam faster than him, I was hoping I would see him on the bike.

Photo: David McColm
The race started at 6am for the age groupers (5:50am for the pros) and they had us go off 4 at a time in rows, every few seconds (at the beep). The start was a little rocky so I took my time getting in the water and then as soon as the water got to my knees, I started swimming. It took me about 2 minutes to start the race after the official race start.

The water temperature was perfect - in the upper 60's. The only issue was fog on the lake, which made it a little tough to see the buoys at times. The buoys were set up 100 meters apart and the course was set up as 750 meters down the lake, 200 meters across and then 750 meters back and then 200 meters across - Two loops without exiting the water.

Immediately I found myself working well with those around me. I love the rolling start for this reason - so long as athletes seed themselves properly. I stayed close to the buoys without even trying and I felt like I did a good job staying on course. The first loop went by really quickly and I was feeling really good in the water. It took me about 300 meters to get into a good rhythm but when I found it, it never went away. I like to build my effort as the swim goes on so I found myself feeling stronger on the second loop, where I tried to pick up the effort. Somehow, I spotted Karel swimming and then I passed him. Since we do so much of our swimming together, I know his swim stroke really well. I was happy to see him and also happy to pass him :)

The course got really crowded on the second loop which not only made it hard to stay on course at times but also to see the buoys with the fog. I found myself needing to sight a bit extra - I first would sight for the buoy until I saw it and then I had to sight to find clean water/clear path to swim.

I was a little confused as to how we were going to exit the water but once we made the last turn, it was a straight shot to the swim exit. I couldn't believe how fast that swim went and I didn't have any low moments. Because I don't wear a watch when I swim, I didn't know my swim time until I exited the water. Later I learned I swam 57 minutes which made me super happy. Karel swam 58 minutes which was a great swim for him - especially since he just learned how to swim in 2012.

I kinda expected my endorphins to take over but I didn't realize they would be so strong so early in the race. I found myself running to the transition tent and I didn't even think about it - I was running and no pain! I felt a little tugging in my inner thigh but it wasn't painful. Wahoo!

When I got into the women's changing tent, I ran to the far end and had a volunteer help me out. I chose to wear compression socks so I had the volunteer take off my chip as I put on my sock and then put it back on - that was her task for me ;) I put on my shoes and helmet and opted no arm warmers and gloves (even though I had both in my bag). I was warm from the swim but by 10 miles of the bike, I regretted that decision as I was so cold.

As I was running to my bike, we ran by a line of 70.3 athletes getting ready for their swim start at 7:20am. I spotted our athlete Jim and gave him a high five. I grabbed my bike, started my computer and ran my bike to the mount line. I veered to the far left side to make room to mount my bike. Because we had a hill to climb right out of the transition area, I had my bike in an easy gear to make it easy to get momentum up the hill.

The highlight of this moment was hearing Karel's voice behind me as we both started the bike at the same time. I can't recall that ever happening so it put a big smile on my face to see him for a hot second until he rode away from me. I wished him a great race and off he went.

More to come..................

Karel's swim recap:
Super happy with this swim. I think it was my best Ironman swim ( not counting Chattanooga :-) First loop went really great, clear water and I felt very controlled with my effort. As soon as I started swimming, I felt really good in the water. Sighting was a little tricky as there was steam on the top of the lake and you couldn’t really see the buoy until you got closer. I had to clear my goggles twice as they got foggy. 2nd lap was more congested with athletes starting their first loop but nothing too bad. Overall it was a great start to the day. AG 4th place but moved to 2nd at T1.