Skip to main content

Many years in the making....

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.- William James



After months of preparation, I had my first day of one-on-one consultating at
Spa Me. Dr. Townsend, who runs his own primary practice with Baptist Medical Center approach me via a friend, to provide nutrition services for his patients. Upon much discussion, we created a great 6-month weight loss program as well. I had several clients today for weight loss and one for "clinical" nutrition and I am really looking forward to the future. This has been a dream of mine for a very long time, ever since I did my first "nutrition consultation" back in 2006. If you live in the area and are interested in a sports, diet, health or nutrition-related visit, please contact the Spa to book an appointment with me.
*The info for nutrition consultations is not updated on the website. However, the receptionist can answer all your questions for services and fees.

My journey to be an RD has been filled with lots of learning but more than everything, I've learned a lot about myself. I've really grown as individual and with a better understanding of the human body, I live a very athletic lifestyle with a very, very, VERY strong appreciation for MY body. When working one-on-one with a person, you aren't required to share everything you know. The most important part of counseling is to listen. To be able to empathize with a person and to be able to address both the strengths and weaknesses in order to help a person succeed AND help the client believe that he/she can succeed.

I've really enjoyed sharing this journey with Karel as well as my close friends and family. I have been showered with kind words and success stories from my athletes but nothing is worth it if I also don't believe in myself.

You see, life is years in the making. For when one door closes, another one opens. Sometimes we feel as if the door hits us smack in the face but really, we just need to step back and allow the door to fully open before we move through.

In order to move forward in life, you have to be able to be ok with change, challenge and the ability to TRUST yourself that you can succeed.

The other night I made a wonderful dinner. The day was about to end with a go-to meal of steamed broccoli, hummus and beans but once I got into the kitchen, my creativity got the best of me.

You see, I haven't always been so passionate about nutrition. OK, so perhaps the passion was always there but the appreciation for what I put into my body has been a work in progress. As an endurance athlete, it has been a fun journey to see how food impacts my lifestyle as well as my health and performance. When embarking on this journey many years ago, I had no set finish line. Over the past few years, I became OK with "time" and realizing that my goal to achieve a quality-filled life is ongoing but requires that I do not take any day for granted.

I hope you enjoy my latest recipe!

Baked Eggplant boats and roasted veggies

Assortment of veggies - ex. mini sweet peppers, garlic, onions, zucchini, chickpeas, broccoli
Olive oil
Seasoning of your choice - pepper, chili powder, sesame seeds (add at the end)

1) Bake at 425 degrees, after tossing in olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning.

Eggplant
2 egg + splash of skim milk
Bread crumbs w/ parsley and pepper
Part-skim mozzarella cheese

1. Slice eggplant into thin slices ("boats").
2. Lightly scramble egg and milk in large bowl.
3. Submerge each piece of eggplant into bowl to cover both sides.
4. Place on non stick pan and drizzle with bread crumbs
5. Bake in oven for 12-18 minutes or until egg firms and bread crumbs begin to turn golden.
6. Top with a little cheese and place into oven until cheese melts.