Skip to main content

Some thoughts of mine....


It's pretty obvious that I think Karel is amazing. He is so strong on the bike and he puts up with me :) Karel was unable to ride in the am due to rain so he jumped on the trainer in the evening. I sat on the couch as Karel did his workout and we both watched the Tour '06 for motivation. Karel absolutely hates riding his trainer so he is usually braving all kinds of weather conditions to not miss his workout. As for the rain, we both feel that starting a workout in the rain isn't a safe idea. However, if it rains during a workout, I just feel like a little kid riding my bike in the rain. Because of my evening classes and busy Monday through Wednesday schedule, I've been in need of a little extra sleep and "sleeping in" on mon, tues and thurs. Wed I have to get up at 4:40 to go and teach my spin class but tues and thurs I have found it really hard to be productive after waking up at 4:40am for a morning swim. If I have an extra hour in the morning, I'd rather sleep in and workout on my own than being extremely tired all day. Now that I'm in class, retaining information is a lot easier after a good night sleep. I have been able to get in some great runs and swims but the cycling has slacked a bit. Although Blue is infront of Seduza, my side of the bikes are being neglected this week. Seduza is on a vacation for a while. I let her rest after Kona :)


This morning Karel and I did our normal Friday lifting together. I usually head to the Y 30 minutes before Karel to get in a 3 mile run and karel joins me at the end and we run together on the treadmill for a 10 min warm-up before our plyometrics. As coach/personal trainer Marni, I've been coming up with great circuits for us by using the BOSU and a medicine ball. What a great workout! we end with a few upper and lower weight training exercises and then always add in the core exercises during the workout and at the end. I just love the core!
So after my workout this morning I hoped in the pool for a refreshing outdoor 15 minute swim. I started thinking about my season and then asked myself..what season? I haven't signed up for any races, I have no training plan and I don't even know why I am staying so disciplined to work out? As "Marni the triathlete" it is hard to have a conversation with my triathlon/cycling friends with out the question of "what are you training for?" coming up. Amidst my writing, studying, planning the wedding and working out, my leg is starting to heal and I should probably starting thinking about a race. I had mentioned to Karel that I wanted to do some cycling races with him this season but it has been hard to motivate myself to ride my bike without having a triathlon to train for. It just seems as though cycling is just a component to triathlons. After our workout this morning, Karel took a moment to tell me that I would be racing this year and to not tell myself that I won't race. He is right and I appreciate his truthful words. I guess I have been scared to sign up for a race due to the disappointment of not being able to race competitively. I consider myself a very competitive person but I think just having a goal and a training plan would really get my life into gear. I just feel like something is missing. It's that goal that drives you to be the best at everything you do and I am ready to work towards that goal again. As for the races I will do this year.....I will call them events and those have yet to be decided :)