Skip to main content

Sore

I guess I am doing something right because my muscles are getting stronger as I walk a little slower during the day :) I only say my muscles are getting stronger because I am doing a lot of work in the pool, on the bike and on the treadmill...so all this hard work better pay off! Most of all, I am finding myself finally looking forward to training sessions because I always have a scheduled workout and goals to meet. Even if I don't reach/meet those goals, I feel like I am overcoming a lot of mental barriers by having a coach (and supportive husband) to hold me accountable to my workouts. But, I have to say if I didn't like what I was doing, I wouldn't do it...so it all worth it no matter what happens in the future. I love having a healthy body.

27 degrees this morning! Yes, warm and sunny Jacksonville, Florida was in a freeze watch last night. BRRR.
My alarm went off at 5:20am and I couldn't wait to have my warm coffee in my body. I grabbed a quick snack (1/2 sheet Wasa cracker w/ a little PB) and off I went to the Y.
Wednesday's are endurance days so I knew this would be a tough morning, especially since I had a run to follow the swim.
Here's the workout and once again, only a warm-up to preceed the main set:
400 swim (75 free, 25 scull)
3 x 200 kick w/ 20 sec rest
8 x 50's DPS (distance per stroke) on 1 minute

Main set:
6 x 400's
#1,4 drill
#2,5 pull
#3,6 swim @ 80-90%
The first 3 were free and the last 3 were IM or free.
I was really consistent on the 400 pace and pleased with my 5:41 time.
I wanted to change things up and give my back a break for the last 3 so I did IM drill for #4 and IM swim for #6. I couldn't believe I actually toughed it up for a 400 IM but the whole practice really went by fast. I guess I was focused for this one.

After the swim I dragged myself to the locker room and got on my run gear. I headed upstairs to the treadmills so that no one would stare at me suffering on the main floor treadmills.
The goal for my Hill run was to work on my toughness factor. I found out around half way during my main set that I have a toughness factor of 5 on a 10 point scale. However, I do have mental factor of 9 out of 10 so I stayed on that treadmill until I finished the grueling set.
Here is how my workout went:
5 min warm-up @ 7.2 mph, .5% incline
Main set:
5x5 min incline w/ 5 min recovery
#1) 5 min @ 2% incline, 7.0mph. 5 min recovery @ 1% incline, 7.1mph
#2) 5 min @ 3% incline, 7.0mph. 5 min recovery @ 1% incline, 7.1mph
#3) 5 min @ 4% incline, 7.0mph. 5 min recovery @ 1% incline, 7.1mph
#4) 5 min @ 5% incline, 6.8mph. 5 min recovery @ 1% incline, 7.1mph
#5) 5 min @ 6% incline, 6.7mph. 5 min recovery @ 1% incline, 7.1mph
Total 55 min, 6.2 miles

The focus of this workout is muscle strength. 2 weeks ago Shawn told me I ran too fast at 7.5mph but then again, the set was only for 4 min intervals with the highest incline of 5%. I totally agreed and I slowed it down so that I could focus on my form. My body was really tired by #4 but #5 was the worst. I have never ran (or should I say climbed) at 6% incline so I found myself grabbing the treadmill once every minute. Again, the toughness factor is low but I was determined to not stop during the intervals. I was super sweaty at the end of the workout and my HR was not sky-high like last time. However, I know my heart got a good workout, just like my calves, arms and everything in between (especially my butt...ouch!).
My leg didn't bother me and I was happy to be off the treadmill to stretch. I have a long way to go before IMKY but I just love quality workouts! Oh, and when I got home my whey protein smoothie never tasted so good!! Body fortress whey protein (from Wal-mart) just came out with a cookies n' cream powder. Since I LOVE Vanilla and Karel LOVES chocolate, I guess this is the perfect mix for us. Still only 110 calories and 23 grams of protein in each scoop! What a yummy way to recover. :)

Stay warm today everyone!