Skip to main content

Happy Obama day!!!

No matter who you voted for, I think this is such a historic and momentous day for everyone! I am hooked to the coverage on the Today show and I will be glued to the TV for the next few hours. Eventually, in the late afternoon (after I spend a few hours studyging) I will get off the couch and head to the Y with Karel so I can get in my 30 min run and a little lifting.

Campy is super excited for today....doesn't it show??? :)




Yesterday was an active recovery day. Every now and then I look forward to a day of nothing but rest but usually I like to do some type of non weight bearing activity such as a swim or spin on my bike. Monday morning I was in the water at 6am and it was MUCH warmer than sat. I even called at 530 on my way to the Y to see if the water was warmer. I am over my days of college swimming in cold water (75 degrees) and I crave a nice 78 degree pool. I swim much better in cooler water but I just wish I could have warm water for the warm-up and then manually control the water to make it colder for the main set. I am just a wuss for cold water, first thing in the morning :)
This morning I rode the trainer again. We have a high of 46 degrees today but it was around 30 degrees at 7:30am. Karel bundled up and headed out for a long ride with Jeff but I stuck to the trainer for some intervals. I think I am liking the trainer a bit more but only for the shorter rides. For anything over 90 minutes, I will look forward to the outdoors.
This morning I had a challenging interval set. The challenging part was staying in my power zones while staying in my HR zones. Also, I had specific cadence goals as well and it was a lot of thinking for 5 x 3 min. intervals. The hard part was only recovering for 1 minute in between the intervals but my range of numbers represent my tempo, threshold and VO2 max power zones. It is hard to not focus on speed when I ride but as a believer of HR training, you'd be suprised how your HR is all over the place if you ride with a group, have tailwind or headwind or climb or descend. I guess we will see if this all pays off. My first big race of the year will be the Rock n' roll half ironman (not 70.3) in Georgia on May 30th (a day before my b-day and 3 year anniversary with karel).

Mira (http://miralelovic.blogspot.com/) sent me this link in an email today...

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/clifbar01_09.html

Please note that I am not bashing Cliff bar or Luna bar. This can happen to almost any product, natural or not. Just be aware of what you are eating!