Skip to main content

Good to be back

Although vacations are great, it is always nice to be back to my normal routine. However, I find myself being less obsessive about "training" when I am away from my home and I really enjoy a change of scenery every now and then. Exercise and healthy eating are two big parts of my life so I don't really mind taking away the "disciplined" training routine every now and then. I know that I will always exercise, choose healthy foods (and a few sweet treats) and get plenty of sleep when I am away. I might be boring but it is really nice to not loose touch of my normal lifestyle when I am away.
So, back home and Campy is one happy doggy. We have gone on a bunch of walks and he is full of smiles. Smudla is still with my parents since she LOVES having a big house to call her own. Karel has a race near my parents on Sunday so he will bring her home on Sun. I am missing her as well.
Training is going well and I hope I picked up a few red blood cells with all that altitude training. On wed. I tried to sleep in just enough to wake up without an alarm and I was at the pool at 8am. We got home at 12:30pm on Tuesday evening, after driving 4 hours after we landed in Tampa. However, I felt ok at 6am but stayed in bed until 7am. The swim on Wed was relaxing and I somehow kept myself in the pool for 2600 yards. I then went grocery shopping since we finished all our food before we left.
Because I didn't feel like running on Wed. (hill workout) I decided to run first thing on Thurs morning. I did my 50 min run on the treadmill and I felt super good.
The workout was a bit challenging but I really liked it.
10 min warm-up @ 1%
Main set 2x's:
10 min @ 2%
2 min @ 4%
2 min @ 6%
6 min recovery @ 1%

I managed to squeeze in almost 6 miles for my hill workout and it really felt good to do this run first thing in the morning. After the run I needed to get on my bike for the first time in a week in a half. I decided to ride my road bike and draft off Karel and Jeff. I did a quick 28 miles and I was suprised how good I felt on my bike. It is always nice taking some time off from structured training. I was also amazed that my power was pretty high, although I was drafting. The wind was from all directions but I was super happy to wear a short sleeve jersey and shorts. It has been in the upper 70's here and I forgot how much I really do love my sandals and shorts on a daily basis :)

This morning we had a chilly swim. Once again, the temps were a bit cool for me. I like it around 78 degrees but it felt like 74..brrrr.
I must have counted the yardage wrong as I was swimming in circles for 90 minutes this morning because our 3400 practice became a 4200 practice one I re-counted the main set yardage. I guess my brain was frozen. I was pooped at the end and I had really tired arms.
200 warm-up
5 x 100's pull on 1:30
6 x 50's mid-pool working on turns
Main set 4x's:
200K
3 x 100's on 1:30
2 x 50's on :40 (just touch and go)
100 all-out
100 recovery

After the swim I ran an easy 2.5 miles and lifted a bit. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Nothing super long but I am happy to be on my bike for 3:30 on Sat and to run long on Sunday.

Here are a few of my favorite picks from our trip: