Skip to main content

Food Service Rotation

I've traded IM training, spandex and early morning, heart rate pumping, sweat fests for black and white scrubs, a hair net and non-slick sneakers.


"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."

For the next 10 weeks I will be interning at the Lakeside Nursing home. Today was my first day in the kitchen as a prep-cook and boy oh boy....my feet are tired!!

Finally feeling back to normal (although I could still use a few more nights of restful sleep) I managed to get in 2 enjoyable bike rides this weekend. I rode 2 hours on Sat morning and 1 hour on Sunday. I wish I could tell you how fast or far I went but Karel removed my computer AND my power tap. I suppose this is a good thing for me because I gladly welcome just exercising and NOT training! Not having the structure of a training schedule, or specific workouts, is very comforting to me. I love to exercise as a way to keep my body healthy and to relieve stress so I find the off-season a great mental and physical break for my body. Because I am really in-tune with my body and appetite (although there is always an adjustment period, especially after an IM) I rarely find myself working out to "burn calories". I still enjoy the benefits that come with exercising so I do not feel as if I have to do x-miles or distance on any given day of the week. Karel said that I will be getting back into training sooner than in years past because he wants to make sure that I keep my fitness and continue to get stronger. However, since both Karel and myself are in our off-season (Karel's last race report to come soon!!) we are both excited to ride together, lift together and do plyo's together. I, however, also look forward to LONG swimming sessions (6000 yrd+) and a return to running in about a week (no rush for me since I'm assuming that my body needs more than 1 week to repair damaged tissues from an almost 11 hr race, covering 140.6 miles).

After studying for a quiz and getting myself prepared for this week of interning, I was looking forward to my first day as a kitchen worker.

My alarm went off at 4:30am and I was in the car at 5am to make my 30 min drive to the Nursing home.
By 5:30am I was already cooking.
Not knowing what to expect when I arrived, I was happily welcomed by the 4-6 kitchen employees. Everyone was really nice and wanted to help me out.
My day was spent with a lady who's role is "prep-cook".
My first assignment......
Remove the bacon, sausage and sausage links from the oven and plate them.
hehe- I kinda chuckled inside. My first day on the job (interning) and the vegetarian is platting bacon. Lovely.

I don't get grossed out by meat unless the animal protein has something other than the "meat" that needs removing. Sadly, that means that Karel doesn't get much variety in my creations for him, involving meat.

From 5:30 until 1:30 I got one break (9-9:15am) and was on my feet the entire morning. Not only was I on my feet but I was BUSY! The nursing home just transformed to "restaurant" style which means that the patients can sit down in the eating area and place orders based on the menu for the day. Therefore, there are a lot of cook to order requests.

I have to say...I have a new appreciation for eating out and anyone in Food Service!!

I believe that life provides us with experiences and we should take advantage of those experiences. Perhaps we may not be able to relate or enjoy all experiences in life but it is the learning opportunities that open our eyes to the rest of the world.
I know my mom and dad are probably reading this with wide open mouth's because they are probably thinking back to MANY of my experiences when I wanted to quit after the first day. Just SO much to take in and it is never easy feeling exhausted after the first day. Today I am 100% exhausted but looking forward to the rest of the my busy week.

For example, Graduate school comes to mind..I think I was in tears for 3 straight weeks "Mom-it is just WAY TO HARD..I'll NEVER SURVIVE!!!" Well, I survived and how funny...I even went back to school for more education!! I guess at the time, my Master of Science degree wasn't enough for me....8 more months til I am a Registered Dietitian!!

Here is what I did on my first day of food service
1) plate bacon, sausage and sausage links
2) toast and cut bread (fancy toaster machine)
3) label a gazillion things and put them in the massive fridge (Everything must be labeled right after you use it)
4) Made potato salad
5) Made cornslaw
6) Made sugar-free and regular juice
7) Made Yellow Cake (with a huge mixer)
8) Topped the yellow cake with regular and sugar-free frosting
9) Learned how to use a meat cuter.
10) Learned how to clean a meat cuter.
11) Assembled "snack" trays
12) Chopped veggies
13) Delivered food around the nursing home
14) Washed my hands a million times
15) Put on gloves (a bunch of times)
16) Cleaned my work space
17) Became a queen at using plastic wrap
18) Started to learn my scoop size for portion control (#4 scoop is 1/2 cup)
19) Folded silverware in napkins
20) Made salads

I am sure I am forgetting lots more.. What a day!
Tomorrow I will be spending most of my day in the dining room, taking orders and making sure the plates are correct.

After my day at the Nursing home (which ended at 1:40pm) I was craving a load off my feet. My body was craving a swim so I went to the Brooks Y and cruised for a 2500 yrd swim (2 x 1000's + 500) and finished with a little core.

Well, time to get going on some homework before I start making dinner. After a LONG day, there is nothing I love more than enjoying home-cooked meal with Karel and my 3 little furry ones. I am sure Karel is thinking the same thing.
Ironman or Internship....my day always ends (and starts and everything in between) with a home-cooked meal :)