Skip to main content

Banana Oat muffins & Monday Prep

Welcome to my life as a dietetic intern....I wake up sometime between 4 and 4:30 am in order to be in the kitchen, bright and early, to prep food for the Lakeside Nursing Home residents.

I go from making beautiful salads to baking mouth watering deserts. I know..life is tough but somebody has to do it :)












Today was suppose to be my muffin day for the residents but a few of my ingredients were not in stock in the kitchen. We order food every Mon and Thurs so on the order for today (which will come in tomorrow) I requested the few ingredients that were missing in the kitchen for my muffins. Because I am making 150 muffins (I had to standardize my recipe which makes 24 muffins) I need a large quantity of ingredients. Of course, I would never feel right putting together a recipe from a bag or box so I am staying true to myself and trying to use as many wholesome ingredients as I can for my muffin recipe.

I am hoping that my muffin recipe makes in on the 3-week cycle menu at the Nursing Home. I am going to do a sensory analysis tomorrow with my muffins to see if the nurses and residents (and kitchen staff) enjoy my muffins...I am crossing my fingers that they enjoy it!

Last week I made a modified version of the recipe that I will be using in the nursing home. Because the nursing home has certain recommendations for items in the kitchen, I had to change around a few of the ingredients in order to accommodate the likings of the residents (I've been told by many residents already that they don't like "healthy" food). Here is my at-home muffin recipe that I know you will absolutely LOVE! The muffins go great with a side of scrambled eggs w/ veggies or a fruits salad mixed with Greek Yogurt.

Enjoy!

Banana Oat Muffins
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp all spice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium bananas (mashed or finely chopped)
optional: chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix together applesauce and brown sugar in large mixing bowl.
3. Mix in egg and milk.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add to the applesauce bowl.
5. Stir in mashed bananas.
6. Place 1/4 cup muffin mixture into non-stick muffin tins (sprayed with non stick spray) and top with optional chopped walnuts.
7. Bake for 20-25 min or until top is golden brown and semi firm.