Skip to main content

Another week down

What a week. I am not sure how many times I can say it but I just can't seem to squeeze any more minutes into my day. I saw so many patients this week and every case presents something new. I have learned so much this week regarding the human body and I am really picking up on medications, labs and disease conditions. This week I saw (not limited to) the following diagnosis:
prostate cancer
Lung cancer
severe malnutrition
Stage IV sacral wound
Vaginal cancer
Liver cancer
Aspiration pneumonia with PEG placement
suicide attempt w/ alcohol overdose
CABG/open heart surgery
ICU patient on propanol and a paralytic drug, with NG tube

Today I gave my first inservice. I thought I was giving an inservice on coumadin and purine in the diet, to the kitchen staff but to my surprise, around 40 members of the dietary department attended the monthly meeting where I was speaking. I was nervous this morning when I found out I was presenting to all of the RD's, but I think everything went well. I absolutely love public speaking and look forward to another speaking opportunity.

As for the rest of the week/weekend, I have two case studies to do, 2 quizzes to take, a chapter on burns, wounds and metabolic stress to read and if I can find the time, reviewing my notes and charting from this past week.

The other night I made one of my favorite foods for topping my salads...toasted chickpeas!
YUM!!


Super easy....
A little olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add your washed chickpeas and after 4-5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle with paprika and pepper.

I'm super excited because this morning I used my brand new trainer! I'm also super hungry and sore because this trainer gave me a heck of a workout!






I have always enjoyed riding my fluid trainer but I absolutely LOVE my cycleops PowerBeam Pro Bicycle Trainer.

Here's the specs of the trainer:
-PowerTap power measurement technology accurate to +/- 5% for precise power measurement.
- Allows locking in exact power output or slope for precise interval training with instantaneous resistance changes.
-The only wireless electronic trainer available.
- Easy set up and portability. 100% data integrity, no drop outs or interference.
- ANT heart rate and cadence sensor included.
- PowerTuned fl ywheel optimizes inertial effect with limited dead weight for smooth, realworld feel.
- Console features easy-to-use interface, backlit display that is easy to see in all conditions.
- Create and manage custom workouts with PowerAgent Workout Creator software based on slope, power, and training zones.
- Prescribe training and testing protocol to athletes and training partners.
- A stiffer yoke limits vibrations at all speeds for smooth, quiet operation.
- Large, precision machined alloy roller reduces tire wear and slippage.
- Quick-cam locking mechanism allows fast installation and removal of bike.
- CycleOps Pro series frame is the easiest to use and most stable frame available.
- Includes Realrides Race Day DVD.


My main set this morning was 3 x 10 min @ sub LT w/ 5 min ez. 4 x 5 min @ sub LT w/ 5 min ez. 5 x 1 min LT w/ 1 min EZ.
2 hours later, as the rain was falling hard outside, I was toasted. A quick recovery drink and shower and I was out the door by 7:40am for exciting day of interning.
I absolutely love this trainer because I don't have to change my gears. You plug in the trainer and on the screen you can choose your "power zone" and the trainer forces you to get and stay in that zone. If you go beyond that zone, the trainer eases up on you. For me, this great because I am always wanting to work on my cadence (faster cadence) as well as not going too easy between intervals. I can also adjust the slope to simulate climbing. This is really going to be a great addition to my quality training routine. I 100% believe in finding ways to measure your effort so that every training session has a purpose and can be reviewed for future training sessions.

Speaking of training, I had to switch my tues and wed workouts so I did the elliptical, lifted and swam on Tues and did my brick on Wed. After a tough 1:05 interval bike (1 min on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off, 3 min on, 1 min off, 4 min on, 1 min off, 5 min on, 1 min off, 3 min on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 1 min off - all at VO2max power, or close to it) Campy asked me if he could join me for my brick run. Knowing that Campy is all fast-twitch fibers, I happily welcomed my best furry friend for a fun 2 mile run. To my surprise, Campy put on his speedy legs at 6:45am because we ran 8 min/mile for the first mile and 7:30 min/mile for the 2nd mile! WOW-I was amazed! After I dropped Campy back at home, I took myself for a run (boring compared to my campy miles) and ran the same route (but a little longer) for 2.5 more miles, 7:25-7:30 min/mile average.

Despite my crazy schedule...I'm hanging in there. A few close mental breakdown's but I have a great support system of friends and blog reader, (including my family and Karel) keeping me going. Thanks for reading.