Skip to main content

Egg-tastic Friday!

I had a lot on my mind last night. You'd think that I could relax a little after 4 days of interning but I find myself always thinking about the next 3 days. You see, my interning never ends. I really don't have a life right now...just a dietetic intern life.
As soon as I leave the hospital M-Th, I make my way home for a little Campy quality time, followed by making dinner (and lunch), eating dinner w/ Karel and getting my things ready for the next day. Once I finish everything, I find some motivation and discipline and study/read my dietetic material for an hour or 90 minutes, before it is time for bed, sometime around 9-9:30pm.....then it is time to do it all over again. Of course, Tues-Thurs wouldn't be complete without my 4:25am alarm and a 5-7:15 am workout.
So, now that it is Friday, I had my typical 4:30am wake-up but not the normal rush like the other days this week.
I never have trouble falling asleep and I absolutely love sleeping at night. I'm not a nap person at all (can't remember a time in the last 2 years that I have taken a nap) so I really look forward to getting a restful night of sleep.
With so much on my mind last night, I grabbed my notebook and pen (on my nightstand) and wrote down my 'to-do's' for Fri-Sun. There are a lot of them but they must get done before another week of interning.
Last night I told Karel that I wish time would just slow down 'cause it seems to be rushing right by me. I'm definitely along for the ride (which is an exciting one) and trying to make the most of my days, but my days just seem so rushed. I don't take anything for granted and I really look forward to my "me" time when I train and when I cook. Two things that make me so incredibly happy. Good thing I have Karel and Campy to enjoy my food and to keep me excited to train.

Did I mention that 3 weeks are down and I only have 10 more to go!?!?! April 22nd is my last week of interning..forever!!

So in other news, how about some egg breaking news!!

Eggs-better than they are cracked up to be

I am a vegetarian for animal reasons but since the age of 11 (17 years ago), I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian, consuming eggs and milk. And I absolutely love my eggs and milk.

There was a time during my "diet book" days when I was an egg-white-aholic. But a few years ago I learned about the many benefits of egg yokes and I quickly introduced them back into my diet. Over the years I find myself not eliminating foods from my diet but rather, finding creative ways to include a variety of foods in my diet. Therefore, having no "off-limit" foods...especially the healthy ones.

According to new research from the U.S. Department of Agriculture a large egg has about 185 milligrams of cholesterol, down from 215 milligrams. Recommended dietary cholesterol is 300 mg/d. The body needs cholesterol to make hormones and vitamin D so it is not recommended to be cholesterol-free. Vegetarian's will likely consume less cholesterol than meat eaters but there are many plant-sources of cholesterol in the diet. Cholesterol is an essential structural component of cell membranes, where it is required to establish proper membrane permeability and fluidity. In addition, cholesterol is an important for making bile acids and steroid hormones.

Apparently, the drop in cholesterol may be because of changes in hens' diets, the way the animals are bred or other factors. "Evidence suggests that one egg (i.e. egg yolk) per day does not result in increased blood cholesterol levels, nor does it increase the risk of cardiovascular disease in healthy people," according to the government's Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

The USDA research also showed that an egg has 41 international units (IUs) of vitamin D, up from 25 IUs measured several years ago.

Although protein is in the white, most of an egg's vitamins and minerals are found in the yoke.

Here's a yummy egg-fiesta salad for you to enjoy!

Avocado
Black beans
Tomatoes
Green Peppers
Tomatoes
Dark Greens
Corn
Purple Onion