Skip to main content

Monday Product Review

Swimwear

I am sure I'm not alone when I admit that I don't have a lot of cute "swim wear". I have swim suits for swim practice, I have speedsuits and wetsuits for races and I have lots of spandex which is specific to bike riding and running. However, when it comes to swim wear, well, I don't find myself that comfortable in wearing a skimpy bikini. As an active woman, I want a swimsuit that will embrace my active body. I think many swim companies miss the mark when making swim wear for active women. Why? Because no one has a "perfect" body and swim suits are often designed to fit a body that has no shape. We have strong muscles, specifically in our lower half and I am the first to say that I have trouble finding the right clothing to embrace my active body. I am not proportionate in all areas but I embrace my body for what it allows me to do on a daily basis. Therefore, I want a suit that will compliment me as an active women and not make me feel self-conscious.
I am really happy that Oakley Women has Swimwear that fits in all the right places. I recommend heading over to the site and checking out some of the swim wear, for there are lots of options for all different body types.




Swimming
On the topic of swimming, I buy almost all my swim-related gear at Swimoutlet.com. The prices are very reasonable and the products are of great quality. For triathletes, I recommend having two good sets of googles on hand at all times (especially at races). As far as googles, my favorite is the Speedo Women's Vanquisher. For anyone who belongs to a masters swim group or swims for fun/exercise, I think it is helpful to invest in a pull buoy as well as as paddles. I am seeing less Master swim groups using fins and more emphasis on pulling and swimming with a bouy (as far as improving swim efficiency). I have the Sporti Power Swim Paddles and they have held up very well over the past year since I purchased them.

Books
In the latest ADA Times Summer 2011, there was a great 4 page article titled The latest diet and lifestyle books: reviewed for RDs, by RDs. Although I have not read any of the books that were featured in the review, I enjoyed reading the feedback on the books. Ten books were reviewed by Registered Dietitians and each book (picture included) review included THE CLAIM, SYNOPSIS OF THE DIET PLAN, NUTRITIONAL PROS AND CONS and BOTTOM LINE. Several of the books were given great reviews whereas other books...not so much. For example, The 17 day diet: a doctor's plan designed for rapid results was given the feedback "Dieters may lose weight by lowering their caloric intake and restricting food; however, restrictive meal plans, demonizing certain foods and low calorie levels creates the perfect set up for a weekend binge, and participants never lean how to eat the foods they love as part of a healthy diet". Another book, The Dukan Diet, was given the review that "Although The Dukan Diet is likely to help readers shed unwanted weight at first, its highly restrictive nature raises several health concerns and would make it difficult to recommend".
A few books were given great reviews such as:
-Cinch! Conquer cravings, Drop pounds and Lose inches - by Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD
-Full: A life without dieting - Michael A. Snyder, MD, FACS
-Prevent a second heart attack - Janet Bond Brill
-The New Sonoma Diet: Trimmer waist, more energy in just 10 days - Connie Guttersen, PhD, RD