Skip to main content

2022 Season Recap

 

2022 theme: Seeking change

For much of my life, I hated change. I feared failure and I did not like stepping out of my comfort zone. For the past 16 years, I've lived with someone who loves adventure. Karel has helped me become much more courageous when it comes to new or different experiences. With Karel leading the way in most of our adventures, it has forced me to understand (and work through) that paralyzing moment of anxiety, stress and worry when things are out of my control. Because fear has the power of stopping us from making the most out of opportunities, I realized (with time) that being courageous means making the choice to get more out of my one and only life.

It’s easy to avoid things that feel hard, uncomfortable and different. But this mindset means we never learn how to stretch our comfort zone. For many years, I was scared of failure. But I learned that I was robbing myself of great opportunities and meaningful experiences by shying away from difficulty.

Learning to be comfortable with discomfort is an important skill to living a truly fulfilling life.
Over the past 12 months, I've taken on three new sports - gravel biking, trail running and mountain biking. Whereas in half and full distance triathlon racing, the experience is very familiar and routine for me, I've been filled with curiosity with each new sport. 

Over the past 16 years of endurance triathlon racing, I've become good at racing. However, it wasn't always this way. If I only look at results, I won my age group at my first Ironman in 2007 (18-24 age group at IMFL) and did not win my age group again until 2017 (35-39 age group at Chattanooga). Since 2017, I've won my age group at an Ironman 4 times, placed 2nd and raced in my 5th and 6th Ironman World Championship. I guess you could say that it took me ten years to become an overnight success.

I love the sport of triathlon because I love to swim, bike and run. I also love what triathlon has given me - a job, a reason to travel, friends from all over the world, and a way to help others step outside their comfort zone. Triathlon gives me focus and purpose. It's part of who I am. 

Although I can put myself into 'autopilot' mode when it comes to swimbikerun over 70.3 or 140.6 miles, I can't tell you how many times I've freaked out, fallen and struggled with trail running, gravel riding and mountain biking.
 Instead of knowing, I am growing. 

In 2022, I did a lot of things for the first time. From participating in a mountain bike event to climbing mountains in the Alps of France, 2022 was a year of seeking change. New experiences. New possibilities. New goals. New limits. 

January 

Celebrating 10-years of the Trimarni business

February



Another season of the Greenville Winter Biking League 

Madison was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and had a pleural tap to remove fluid from her lungs.

6-hours on the ridge MTB (Marietta, SC) - my first mountain bike event!
Marni- 1st AG (40-44)
Karel- 1st AG (45-49)

March

Traveling to Oak Mountain for a private mountain bike skills camp

Whole Enchilada MTB (Charlotte, NC)
Marni- 2nd AG 
Karel- 8th overall 

My dad would have been 75 

April 


3-day bike Skills Climbing Camp 
Early season triathlon camp 

Andy's Race Sprint Triathlon
Marni-2nd overall female 

Wildcat 8-hour MTB (Morristown, TN)
Karel- 1st overall

May




Ironman World Championship (St. George, Utah)
Marni- 5th AG
Karel- 11th AG

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga
Marni-2nd AG 
Karel- 1st AG

Celebrating 30-years as a vegetarian
Saying good-bye to my 30's (turning 40!)

June


Ironman 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge 
Marni- 1st AG
Karel- 1st AG

Mini YOLOmites ride 

Cesta Z Mesta ride

July 


4-day endurance triathlon camp

Ironman Lake Placid 
Marni- 1st AG, 2nd overall amateur female 
Karel- 2nd AG

August


Traveling to Europe for 4 weeks!

Xterra Czech Republic
Marni- finished
Karel- 3rd AG

August


7-day Haute Route Alps (Nice to Megeve)
Marni- 2nd AG (40-49)
Karel- finished

October 


Xterra World Championship (Molveno, Italy)
Marni- finished
Karel- finished

Campy turns 15!

October


Hincapie Gran Fondo (Greenville, SC)
Marni- 6th overall female 
Karel- finished 

The most inspiring event of my life 

December


Paris Mountain 20K road race
Marni - 2nd overall female 
Karel - 2nd overall 

Announcing my 20th Ironman distance event


Donating $1000 to animal non-profit organizations