Skip to main content

'22 Xterra World Championship Molveno, Italy


We started our triathlon season five months ago in St. George, Utah at the Ironman World Championship. Yesterday we finished our season in Molveno, Italy at the Xterra World Championship.
Karel is absolutely loving the transition to off-road racing as he thrives in unpredictable, testing and challenging scenarios. As for myself, I'm feeling very unsure of myself - which is a big change from the predictability and confidence that I experienced after 16 years of long distance triathlon racing.

While I'm proud of what I accomplished yesterday in 62-degree water conditions, 48-degree air temp and through deep mud on slippery roots and rocks, steep slick downhills, around very competitive and skilled riders, navigating pitchy climbs and a handful more new first time experiences, it would be wrong of me to not mention how nervous I was for all of these first-time experiences.

Trying something new means that I may fail, struggle, look silly and embarrass myself. On the night before the event, while trying to calm my anxiety, I thought to myself that it would be a lot easier to avoid all of these uncomfortable feelings by supporting Karel on the sidelines and share his success without being uncomfortable. Not racing meant I didn't have to feel any discomfort.

But then I reminded myself why I wanted to learn how to mountain bike, and then get into Xterra racing - I want to experience a new sense of accomplishment.

Doing something for the first time is scary. It's hard and risky. But it's how you learn. It's how you develop. It teaches you how to get more comfortable being uncomfortable. The older we get, the easier it is to stay in our comfort zone. The harder it is to accept failure.

Although yesterday was humbling, I took on a new experience and conquered something that I thought was impossible. And for that, I am proud.