Skip to main content

Breakfast for dinner

Swimming early in the morning always makes me dream of yummy breakfast creations. There is something about a 6am swim, with all of my friends (and amazing Master swim coach Lindsey) that makes me happy...and with a tummy for comforting breakfast foods.

This morning pooped me out...as do many of my master swims. Although a swimmer in college (200 butterfly, 200 IM and 100 breastroke) I only have dreams of swimming as fast as I did when I was in my late teens and early 20's. Now I am a triathlete (and wife) so I must balance swimming with everything else in my life. However, my love for swimming is greater than ever. Sometimes I lay in bed, watching the fish in our bedroom 30-gallon fish tank, wishing I could be like them and swim all day. Swim and eat, swim and eat. What a life!

So, I have had my eye on the "fast" lane for the past 2 years and it was only a matter of time that I was told to try to swim with the fast boys and Mallory (my good friend). Over the past month, I have been testing my speed in in the outside lane and well, it is paying off! I was always in between lanes and my coach said I needed a lane on the laneline because I was too slow for the fast boys and not being pushed going first in my lane. I love my lane mates but per Karel's suggestions....it is time to push myself in the water.
Because the guys (and Mallory) are super fast (like 1:05-1:10 min per 100yrds at a moderate pace) I can't hang with them for sets over a 200...or else I will get lapped. However, for the past few weeks, I have managed to swim with a crazy-high heart rate(and fatigued arms) and still make the cycle.
This morning was a test of my speed and endurance!
After a 5.75 mile run on the treadmill:
Main set: 5 x 2 min @ 7.8mph/1% incline w/ 1 min easy 7.4 mph
2 min easy jog
5 x 90 sec @ 8.3 mph/1% incline w/ 30 sec. rest (straddle treadmill)

I jumped in the pool for a great 4000 yrd practice in the fast lane. Yippe!!
400 warm-up
10 x 200's (desc 1-4, 5 recovery, desc 6-9, 10 recovery).
The cycle was 3 min and I did ALL of them on 2:30-2:33...I can't believe it! Just two weeks ago I was swimming 2:42 for a 200! I guess being pushed (and chased) is a good thing for me.
5 x 100's IM on 1:30
600 pull (breathing 3,5,7 by 50)
200 kick
300 warm-down

Whew...what a great morning! Glad I took MON off and slept in (with no workout) on Tues. I have been T-I-R-E-D and a little rest was just what Coach Karel ordered. NOT COMPLAINING!!! :)


The other day at a Nursing Home, I was reviewing charts and while figuring out nutrient-needs I noticed that this resident had a BMI of 13! Normal BMI (Body Mass Index) is around 18-24 for a healthy weight. Certainly, this man was extremely underweight for his height. I can't recall his diagnosis but I do remember seeing "breakfast for all meals" on his diet order.

I have seen a wide variety of meal preferences, diets and diagnoses while interning at Nursing homes but I have to say that I have only seen 1 diet slip that requested breakfast for all 3 meals. Hey...I can't blame him!

I hope you enjoy this "balanced" dinner. Who says pancakes are only for breakfast??

Fruity pancakes and Eggs
1 cup your favorite whole grain pancake mix (I typically make my pancakes from scratch with whole wheat flour)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
X-amount of water (I like to bump up the protein of my pancakes so even if the mix calls for water, I like to add around 1/2 cup milk and then whatever the "water" measurement is, I add in the rest water).
1 tbsp flax seed (ground)
Fruit - apple slices, cherries
Favorite nut/seeds - a few spoonfuls of your fav nuts/seeds, I used walnuts and sunflower seeds.

1. Combine ingredients and mix well. Add additional water (if needed) so that batter just barely drips off spoon.
2. On medium heat on a non-stick pan, spray with a little non-stick spray and spoon a ladle full of batter.
3. Flip after a few minutes.

Scrambled eggs w/ Spinach
2 egg whites + 1 whole egg (per person) w/ a splash of milk
1 large handful spinach
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1/2 tbsp olive oil

1. On medium heat, cook garlic in olive oil until golden.
2. Add spinach until semi-wilted.
3. Add scrambled eggs and toss until cooked to your liking.

Optional topping for pancakes:
Natural Peanut butter and low sugar Jelly
Honey and non fat plain yogurt w/ cinnamon
Banana slices w/ Natural PB