Skip to main content

Investing in the Moments

As most of you all know....my life is overwhelmed with Tri-related stuff. In addition to swimming, biking and running I coach newbie triathletes, I do nutrition consultations for triathlons and I write triathlon articles. So pretty much, I live, breathe, eat and sleep triathlons.
Is this a good thing? Well, it depends how you look at it. Some people enjoy working and enjoy spending hard earned cash on something nice (like a new car or expensive jewelry). Some people enjoy saving money and get excited when something goes on sale. Some people save for months (or years!) to spend money on a well-deserved week-long summer vaca. What do they all have in common? Everyone works hard for the dollar...and eventually, the money (for everyone) gets spent on something. Hopefully that "something" is worthwhile and practical. I enjoy spending money. Who doesn't!?! But in the sport of triathlons, it is very easy to spend money! Carbon-need I say more? But more than spending money, I love training! Now, besides buying the gear to train with (bike, running shoes, goggles, suit, etc.) the training part is free. I spent over 6 hours this weekend (over 110 miles) of cycling and it didn't cost me a penny. Most of all, my investment was in my heart (ok-that sounds silly, I know). Even with the 20 mph NW wind (yes, I check the weather channel before my rides!) on sat, I think I cycled well over 45 miles in headwind and side wind. But, I loved it and so did my heart. As the weather cooled on Saturday night, I did the same thing on Sunday and trained for free. Although the weather was cooler (around 46 degrees when I left!) and I had very numb toes and fingers, I did not mind being out on the Suncoast trail with my friends Christian and Hunter. We had such a great time chatting, not speaking as we paced each other and we really enjoyed being outside. Not one of us complained about the 2 1/2 hr bike ride (aside from me being cold at the beginning and impatient and ready to go right at 7:30am). I didn't even want to look at my HR monitor to see what the time was....I didn't really care. I was investing time in something well worth it and I wasn't even getting paid. Now that is a life. Including myself, I know many people who would complain about working 6 hours on a weekend or 2, 3-hour shifts and not getting paid, but it isn't that bad when you love what you do. Hopefully we can all find things we enjoy in life and make an investment with our time that we will stick with them and not complain or worry about how much money we are making or what else we could be doing instead. Enjoy the moment and live for today!