Skip to main content

I need a nap!


I've needed a nap since last weekend! Training is tough and I am beat! I keep pushing and pushing....but I'm FINALLY seeing results!
Tuesday was a not so bad (intensity) but I got in around 3400 meters. The run was followed by the normal treadmill speed workout and I busted my butt for 3 minutes at 8.8 mph and 2 x 1:30 at 9.5-9.8 mph. I repeated the set 3 times. I actually felt really strong and finished the day with an hour EASY spin. Wed morning was the day...the day I needed a nap!
Any normal wed I would have taught my 45 minute spin class and followed it with a 1500 meter swim and weight lifting. Wed evening is usually the Gearlink landsbrook ride so I rest up all day for that crazy fast ride. Well, on 4th of July my morning started off the same but I was more than tired all day for a very good reason. As a treat for my spin class, I had decided a couple weeks ago that I would do an hour spin with them (for the first time) starting at 5:30am. So I got up at my normal tues/thurs time of 4:40am and taught an hour spin class from 5:30-6:30. I am a very hard instructor but we have a lot of fun. I do make them work hard but we do every set as an interval. For this wed. I wanted to keep them entertained and focused since the mind seems to wander in a spin class. After the spin class, I quickly changed clothes, heated up some oatmeal and drove to the Eastlake cafe to drop off my car. I pulled out Seduza from Hyundai and headed to the CVS on Alt 19 (Sat morning ride meeting point) to meet Jim and Scott at 7:30am. This is when my second ride of the day began. For the first time ever I was going to test my speed and ride with the Panera ride. Karel met the group at 7am in Bellair. The group rides through Sand Key and clearwater beach (over both causeways) and they head toward Alt 19. Jim, Scott and I met the group and I quickly pedaled my legs to stay in the draft. It was a big group that morning (around 30 people) and many unfamiliar faces. everyone was nice but I was focused on staying on anyone's wheel. I new at a speed of 24-30 mph, if I got dropped I was done. This ride is normally ridiculously fast but karel had faith in me that I could hang on. Of course he was riding in the front with Spencer Smith pulling the group...totally different pace than what I was use to. Put a retired Pro Triathlete on the front of a group ride and the fast pace of 24 mph becomes a wicked fast 30 mph! I actually hung on for most of the ride, until Howard Park where I had time to catch the group as they turned around on the Island after their sprint. Karel must have been feeling good cause he won the sprint (nothing new :). The panera riders only rode around 30 miles with us (gearlinkers) and Jim, Scott, karel and I continued on our familiar sat. morning ride for another couple hours. with a total of 65 miles (not including an hour spin class) and around 3 hours in the saddle I could barely eat my pancakes after the ride. I pushed so hard and didn't really get dropped. Of course I give a little thanks to red lights so that I can catch up, but the fact that I can push for over 60 miles makes me feel really confident with my improvements on the bike. The rest of the Gearlink team rode easy that morning and we all met at the Eastlake Cafe for a great breakfast. I was so tired for the breakfast that my brain hurt! Of course I could pull off a couple smiles but I really pushed hard. No bonking so that is always good. Just a couple tender muscles to keep me walking slow all day. I didn't nap on Wed and now i regret it. After a hard Thurs am swim/run and pm bike/open swim/bike, I am ready for a good night rest! I am really looking forward to next weekend racing at morton plant mease. Phil Lahaye puts on great races and I have no doubt that this sold-out race will be a hit! I'm racing Elite so I'm racing for some $$$! this morning I rode the course twice, did some bridges and ran for an hour following my 30 mile ride. This weekend is more cycling and I will call it a great week come sunday!! All this for Kona???? YOU BET!