Skip to main content

Be careful and I love you

Two things that I am always remembering when I am training. Don't put yourself into situations that are dangerous and always be careful when you are training. You can never expect the unexpected and it is a dangerous world out there when you are on your bike. Also, remember to tell people that you love them, that you care and that you are thinking of them. Talking to someone in person is probably the best way to show love or kindness but even a phone call, email or text message can make someone's day. Never overlook an opportunity to let someone know that you think they are special. Take time to appreciate other people's accomplishments and try to be as optimistic as possible from the moment you wake to when you go to bed at night. I hope people can realize that every day is just one day of many days. There is always another day but it is important to live the day to the fullest and appreciate the little things.
Last night I was searching the Internet and came across a horrible posting on slowtwitch. One of my friends was seriously injured as he was warming up for the Roswell cycling race in GA. His name is Ryan Barnett and he is a wonderful guy and father of a young daughter. A truck with a trailer hit him and he is suffering from skull fractures, broken ribs, a chipped pelvis and compression of T3. Ryan is being flown to Shepard Center where doctors are hoping that he will walk. He is suffering slight paralysis at the moment. He is a passionate cyclist and he sold me my first road bike. He works in marketing and is a rep for BLUE bicycles and he is an amazing cyclist. He absolutely loves cycling. I introduced Karel to Ryan at the 100K classic in GA last Sept and since then, Karel and Ryan have raced with each other at several races. When Karel was in TN a few weeks ago, it was Karel and Ryan pushing each other to the finish at the road race. When Karel and I were in NC and GA this past weekend I texted Ryan on sat late afternoon to see if he would be at the Speed week races. The Roswell race was actually in the same area as the race that Karel did on Sunday in GA.
This news really hurts me because I don't want this to happen to a guy like Ryan. I don't want this to happen to anyone. It just makes me so sad and believe me, I absolutely think that every day could be my last day. I know it is horrible to think that, but you can imagine how I worry when Karel rides or races. I know we love what we do and I think you can't be afraid to do something so fulfilling like triathlons, running or cycling. But just be sure to be careful and let people know how much you care about them. Please keep Ryan in your prayers.