Skip to main content

Power Test and Campy

Uggh...I did my bike power test today. NO fun!
Here are my comments on Training Peaks to Shawn

The test started out really slow for the warm up. Couldn't get my speed up but this was my first time on a trainer so it was a little weird at first. I did two 1 min pick-ups and afterwards I thought I would never survive the test. The warm-up last 15 min and after the 2 x 1 min pickups I rode another 5 min. easy (as prescribed by my test).
The test was 20 min at max, starting out around 65% max HR. I broke the test into 4x5 min intervals. I got out of the saddle the last min. of each 5min interval because my legs (mostly my right leg, the one that was injured) was tightening up on me. I probably should have stayed in the saddle the whole time but physically and mentally I wanted to quit after 5min. I was never in pain from the leg but just in pain from the grueling test at an all-out effort.
The test got better (mentally) after 10 min but physically it was killing me.
I tried to increase my wattage for each 5 min interval by 10 watts and I was able to get my watts to an average of 190-200 at the last 5 min. However my HR almost popped out of my chest and I could feel my heart beating in my head.
I wasn't pleased with my speed but I tried not to focus on that too much. I really focused on HR and watts and I think I may have been able to do better outside, yet it would probably be less consistent.


So there ya go. My first power test. At least now I have some zones that I can use for training so my workouts will be of better quality for IMKY.

On a different note (a much cuter and less sweaty note), the cold temperatures that us wimpy Floridians are experiencing are really tough on Campy. His 11 lb body and almost no body fat are no fun for him during our walks. I felt so bad for him on Tuesday when it rained all day and I dreaded taking him on a walk on Wed because it was a bit too cold.
So, I got him a sweater. I always told myself that I would NEVER dress my dog up in clothes but I had to get him something to stay warm during our walks. I was worried he wouldn't like it but he actually loves it! I shouldn't be surprised since Campy loves snuggling under blankets and getting as much human body heat as possible by cuddling as close as he can to Karel or me.

After I got the sweater Campy showed off his new outfit at the Trek store. Jeff and Alex laughed at Campy but Karel said he looked gorgeous. :)
In the afternoon I took Campy to Mandarin Park and we walked all around the trails. Campy got in a good 45 min walk and he lead me all over the place. There were lots of squirrels for Campy to chase and he was nice and warm in his bubble bee sweater :)

What a cutie!






Campy was yawning during this pic and it came out so funny!