Skip to main content

Change in weather

BRRRRR...It's cold here!! High of 59 and low of 34. On Fri the high is 49!!! I know it is nothing to joke about when people are experiencing freezing conditions and negative temps but for us Floridians, it is cold.
Although the weather is cold, I'm staying somewhat consistent with my workouts. I love my training plan! I feel I am doing less volume than I did during the off-season (when training is just for fun) but the quality of my workouts is killer! I am working really hard at being a smart athlete and having a coach keeps me accountable for not doing too much but doing what I need to do for IMKY. Oh jeez...IMKY is in 8 months!
I was suppose to do my power test on my bike yesterday (TUES) but it rained ALL day. I could have done it on the trainer but I really wanted to do the test outside. Karel gave himself off from work on tuesday but it was a bummer that he didn't get in a ride that morning. I went to the Y to swim and run but for a cyclist, all karel could do was weights (he hates the trainer!). He will ride the trainer if he has to but he usually sticks to outdoor rides.
Karel and I had a date last night. We went out to dinner at a restaurant for the first time in Jacksonville since Oct or Nov. We went to the European Cafe and it was SO good. It was great because they had beer from all over the world (even the Czech beer that Karel loves..he can get it at Publix) and great food. I always think a restaurant is great when I have more than 3 options to choose from. They had lots of vegetarian options and because I had a coupon for a free entree we even treated ourselves to a side dish of Tempeh and crackers. I had a great salad w/ raisins, fresh mozerella, almonds, organic spring lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers and Karel had some kind of pita w/ meat (hehe, I forgot what kind). It was all super yummy.
This morning I had the hardest swim set of my life. I almost threw up it was so hard. I thought my head would explode because I was working so hard in the water and my face was super hot. There were 4 people in my lane and 4 people in the lane next to me. All 8 of us were doing the same set on the same cycle (30 sec rest) so we were able to really pace ourselves and push ourselves. Shawn (my coach) was there so of course I had to work extra hard to show him that I can swim fast :)
Here's the whole practice (note the short warm-up and only one main set):
200 swim, 200 kick, 200 drill
2x300 pull (breathing 3,5,7)
Main Set
2x400 (150S, 50K, 200 pace) - my 200 pace was 2:35 and I pushed super hard for that
3x300 (150S, 50K, 100 pace) - my 100 pace was 1:20
4x200 (100S,50K, 50 pace) - I just sucked it up and went fast for it all
200 warm-down
Total:4000

After the swim I hit the treadmill for a easy 25 min run and then did a few core exercises. I am so happy about that swim set. I Love hard workouts like that!