Skip to main content

IM Kona: 3 week countdown


How many sleepy animals can you spot in this picture? 


With only six days left of hard training before we depart for Kona, I feel so grateful that things are finally in a good place for us - mentally and physically. It was an incredibly tough summer but with perseverance, persistence and positivity, we can finally look ahead to our time in Kona with excitement and gratitude. I always believe that where the mind goes, energy flows.

This week was a solid week of training. My body is still tolerating treadmill running, albeit I still have a few tiny niggles with my right hip/leg (things moved from the left side to the right all of a sudden). But these are the niggles that are not overly concerning. I like to say that I am aware but not afraid. Surprisingly, my run fitness feels good and I am enjoying the soreness that comes with pounding on the treadmill.

This was my last big volume week and my body tolerated it well. It was also a very busy week for me (and Karel) with work related stuff (coaching, bike fits, nutrition consults, etc.) so it felt a bit go, go, go from one thing to the next.

My long ride was 5 hours (which I did solo) and included 4 x 30 minutes at IM effort. My long run was 1:45 and I'm happy to report that it went really, really well. Karel has been "coaching" me for my runs for the past few weeks whereas Cait is still overseeing my training load and structure and prescribing my swim and bike workouts. Karel knows me really well so he has been carefully introducing running back into my body. I've been doing a lot of intervals which works really well for my body. For Karel's birthday (which was yesterday), Cait gave us a birthday swim in honor of him turning 43 - 5 rounds of 400's w/ buoy and 3 x 100's fast. It was incredibly challenging! I then ate for the rest of the day. So. Much. Food!

Karel was in a bit of a funk earlier last week as the warm weather really got to him - mentally and physically. We have been in the mid 90's for some time and it was becoming extremely draining on Karel. But with a needed break in the weather, Karel welcomed cooler temps (60-80's) and that brought him back to life. He finished off the week with some great workouts - starting with a solid 5:37 hour bike on Friday, followed by a 45 minute brick run, an easy day on Sat (swim and spin) and then a long progressive building run (1:55) and birthday swim on Sunday.

Weekend stats:
24:54 hours of training
Swim: 20,400 yards (4:58 hours)
Bike: 13:40 hours
Run: 4:51 hours
Strength: 85 minutes

The weather is predicted to be back in the upper 90's for us in Greenville SC next week which will make for one tough week of training before we leave for Kona on Sunday.