Skip to main content

Celebrating my birthday at Jehovah Raah Farm

For my 38th birthday, I went off the grid and to a farm.

A week or so birthday my birthday, Karel and I saw on social media  that our friend Dane and his wife Celia celebrated their anniversary on a farm. I didn't consider the idea of visiting a farm, but I couldn't stop looking at the pictures of the cute farm animals. Oh do I love farm animals.

A few days before my birthday, Karel mentioned that we should go to the same farm to celebrate my birthday. What a great idea! Yes that's right. This trip wasn't my idea. It was all Karel.

It wasn't more than an hour after Karel mentioned it on an evening walk with campy that I was on the phone with Julie (the owner) to book our trip. The entire process of booking our stay was rather easy - I called her and told her when we wanted to come and that was it. We paid the $125 for our stay when we arrived. Originally we wanted to stay on my actual birthday of the 31st but she had someone visiting that weekend. So we decided to stay Monday until Tues as a belated birthday gift.

Julie was incredibly thoughtful in the days leading up to our visit. She texted me to make sure I was well taken care of during our stay. I mentioned to her that I was a vegetarian and she wanted to make sure I was ok with a hide that was in the Sheppard's croft (the guest house on the property) or else, she would be happy to remove it. She wanted to give me fresh eggs and asked if I ate eggs. She made us fresh cinnamon raisin bread for our arrival. She even asked me about my favorite colors (all shades of pink) so that she could gather yarn and fiber for a weaving project.

Over the years, I’ve learned that experiences are better than things. Experiences become part of who we are. We then become a sum of our experiences. Self-identity should not be tied to possessions but an accumulation of the people you’ve met, the places you’ve been, the lessons you’ve learned and the experiences you’ve had.

Experiences provide genuine connections which make them worth so much more than any object. Sharing our experiences allow us to bond with others in a deep and meaningful way.

I wasn't sure what to expect from our farm trip but we were certainly off the grid with no internet. I welcomed this temporary change and embraced the full experience of farm life.

Since I took a bunch of pictures, I thought I'd break down our farm trip into different segments. The first is a look inside our stay at the Sheppard's Croft at Jehovah Raah Farm.


Made of wood! 

A "bed" of roses (literally)
The Sheppard's Croft (where we stayed)

The bedroom and floor loom (Julie taight me how to use it and made a beautiful wall hanging!)

The kitchen - a step back in time. 

Another view of the kitchen. 

A beautiful wood table outside in the back. 

Art or function?

Love the repurpose of materials! 

How cool! 

More antique stuff in the kitchen. 

The coffee grinder wasn't used. Karel brought his travel espresso machine 😉

The front room. 

Shower and bathtub. 

Art in the bathroom. 

More art. 

Fiber from the animals. 

Soap dispenser. 

Wood table and llama flower piece. 

Outside the house. 

The Sheppard's Croft

Homemade cinnamon raisin bread. We polished this off in 24 hours. Oh so yum!

The backyard view of the house at sunset.