Currently, Karel and I are traveling to Europe. We will be spending the rest of August in France.
I have been looking forward to this trip for months, but as August 15th gets closer, it is starting to feel very real. This isn't just a trip to France. It is a race, a cycling train-cation, a chance to revisit some of the places and climbs that have challenged us before, and an opportunity to experience some of the most iconic roads in cycling.
First stop: Embrun
From August 12–18, we'll be based in Embrun, where I'll be racing Embrunman on August 15 at 6:00 a.m.
The race is no small undertaking: a 2.4 mile open water swim, a 115-mile bike (~16,000 feet elevation gain with the Col d'Izoard making an appearance before half way) and then a 26.2 mile, 3-loop run and ~1,300 feet elevation gain.
The Col d'Izoard has appeared in the Tour de France around 33 times, and its summit sits at 2,361 meters (7,740 feet), making it one of the highest historic and legendary alpine passes in France. The bike course takes us from near Guillestre to the summit, which is approximately 31 kilometers (19 miles), gaining about 1,380 meters (4,500 feet) of elevation to the top.
I've actually climbed the Izoard before. In 2022, when Karel and I completed the seven-stage Haute Route Alps, we tackled the climb from the southern side, starting near Briançon. That was a completely different experience: the climb was the objective. This time, I'll be climbing it as part of a full distance triathlon.
As excited as I am about the race itself, I think what I'm most proud of right now is the preparation that has gotten me here. I’ve been in the sport of triathlon for over 20 years, with my first Ironman happening in 2006 at the age of 24. Having new challenges, with different workouts, has been a fun way of keeping me loving the sport of triathlon.
Since June, I've averaged approximately 15,000–18,000 yards of swimming each week, 8–10 hours of cycling, and around 42 miles of running. My average training week has been around 18–20 hours.
And perhaps most importantly, I've stayed healthy and injury-free through it all. Actually, I haven’t had an injury in almost 7 years. This is saying a lot from someone who was chronically struggling with run niggles/injuries for over 10 years!
There were plenty of challenging workouts, but there were also so many sessions that I genuinely enjoyed.
I had two epic rides with Nate (a local professional cyclist who specializes in criterium race and cyclocross) that included 10,000–13,000 feet of climbing. My last long ride was last Saturday and Nate and I bike from Travelers Rest to the Devil’s Courthouse lookout point on the Blue Ridge parkway. Just a “little” out and back for ~10,000 feet and 120 miles.
In late June/July, I completed three group rides at Donaldson with the A group. The group ride lasts around 80 minutes and for me, it’s intense with so many surges. One ride we averaged 25mph! I love the group ride because it’s surrounded by an hour warm-up (to bike to Donaldson) and an hour cool-down (back home), totaling roughly 68 miles and 3 hours and 15 minutes.
I also love my run hill workouts, but I also really enjoyed the conversational runs with Grace.
I loved the weekday and weekend rides with my cycling friends (Matt, Jeff, Garrett, Carley, Allison and Kate).
I also enjoyed the strong triathlon ladies that I was able to train with over the past two months - Katie, Liv, Leah and Jen.
I loved swimming outside at the Y, but I also looked forward to my Friday long-course swims with my masters group at the aquatic center and the occasional Thursday long-course swim with Grace.
And of course, I love the miles that I get to spend with Karel. Although his key race was Ironman Lake Placid and mine is Emburnman, we have been able to share several key workouts together.
When I look back at the past few months, the training isn't one giant block of suffering or lots of epic sessions. It was made up of lots of frequent and consistent training. Most of all, it was a collection of moments I really enjoyed.
After Embrunman, the real adventure begins.
First we will spend a few days in Bédoin, France from August 18–23. And if you are familiar with that area, yes, we're planning to climb all three sides of Mont Ventoux.
From there, we'll head to Le Bourg-d'Oisans from August 23 through September 1, where we'll tackle even more iconic climbs, including Télégraphe, Alpe d'Huez, Galibier, Croix de Fer and Les Lacets de Montvernier.
I have absolutely fallen in love with cycling in the Alps. There is something about a climb that lasts for an hour (or two) that I find incredibly satisfying.
You settle into a rhythm. The road keeps going up (for many miles/kilometers). The scenery changes around you. The air changes. The vegetation changes. The mountains slowly eveal themselves a little more with every kilometer.
And eventually, you reach the top. There’s usually a plaque/sign of the climb/elevation or something monumental to remind you of what you accomplished. I love that experience.
But I also love the history. These aren't simply beautiful roads. They are roads that have shaped cycling history. They've been raced by generations of cyclists, and they continue to challenge the best riders in the world.
This year, we'll be riding many of the same historic climbs featured in the Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes. This makes this trip feel even more special.
One of my favorite things about watching the Tour de France Femmes this year was seeing women's cycling continue to grow in visibility and attention.
I found myself watching the racing not only as a fan of cycling, but as a woman and an endurance athlete who has spent much of her life in sport.
I told Karel that when we climb Mont Ventoux, it is going to feel extra special knowing that we'll be riding over the names of female cyclists written onto the road.
There is something powerful about seeing those names underneath your wheels.
And I love that the next generation of female cyclists will have even more opportunities to see themselves represented in the sport. I can't wait to experience that firsthand.
Col d' Izoard
As excited as I am about France, there is another reason this trip feels so special.
I love having a challenging race on my calendar. Not because I need to prove something but because having a big goal gives me a reason to train with purpose. Like my previous extreme triathlons, Embrunman has made me nervous and excited.
It has made me wonder what the marathon will feel like after biking for over 7 hours and climbing over 16,000 feet.
The challenge has made the ordinary early morning workout feel a little more meaningful. While I've stepped up my training over the past few months, I've also had so much fun doing it. I’ve been in the sport for such a long time and I’ve learned that sometimes we get so focused on the outcome that we forget to appreciate everything that happens to get us to the start line.
The early mornings.
The long rides.
The hill repeats.
The easy runs with friends.
The endless washing of sport nutrition bottles.
The long-course swims.
The laughs and smiles.
The tired legs.
The good days.
The rough days.
The moments when you think “there’s no way I’ll ever feel ready” to eventually thinking "I think I'm actually ready."