Skip to main content

It's good to be back!

After a long drive on Sunday, with two sun-burnt faces, Karel and I were happy to be home. We had to make a quick stop at the grocery for our essentials (eggs, milk and meat-vegetarian and non-marni friendly) and were looking forward to a home cook meal. It was already 8pm but Karel and i could not do any more "fast food". We opted for a real lunch (although late) and we stopped at Moe's (a great mexican place, like Subway) and I had my favorite salad of beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, salsa (lots of it) and tofu. Karel had the home wrecker..what a funny name. After a full weekend of hardly any protein for me (it is hard when i travel) I was feeling the effects of going almost three straight days without eggs. As my main source of protein (I go through about 5-8 egg whites a day) I was really slow on my recovery after my half marathon. I'm telling you, protein post workout and especially a race makes a big difference on how you feel the next day. I was so ready to get home on sunday and get a spin and/or swim on monday morning. I would have loved to spin out my legs on sunday but I was without a bike and watching Karel's road race for 4 hours. Anyways, when we got home on sunday evening I was ready for an omelet. We bought some fresh rye bread and I enjoyed my home cook mushrooms and veggie salami (I know, sounds yummy!!)omelet with a little cheese and cottage cheese on the side. It was just so good to have something prepared at home and I know exactly what I am eating. I just don't like waiting for food nor do I like not knowing what all I am eating. usually my meals are simple (salads) when eating out but then I get to the point, come on..give me something besides a salad! On monday morning I coached someone for swimming and it was great to be in the water. Later that day, after hours of catching up with emails, avoiding studying (it's spring break!! I will get to that studying tomorrow...I hope!), working on re-doing my website and working on BT.com videos, I met my good blog friend Kate (check Ironkatemonster.blogspot) who is visiting from Iowa. We went for a spin on monday around Clearwater beach. It is funny how I don't really take advantage of one of the best spring break places and that I can ride my bike 4 miles and I am at the beach. It was so nice on mon that Kate and I decided to ride again at 6:45am tues morning (rain tues evening so I decided to skip the am swim). Well, although Florida is great along the water..it can be super windy!! I don't think I have been that scared on my bike since Kona and riding over the two causeways scared me so much I really thought I would fall off my bike. Luckily, we survived and I was glad I had a girl to ride with. It is just great to know that you have someone who enjoys training as much as yourself..I think everyone should have some type of training buddy. Hey, I even look forward to my spin class on wed morning cause I just love being with my 10 students to push me as I push them! This afternoon Kate and I went for a swim with a main set of 8 x 100. We finished the workout with some 50's hypoxic (breathing 5,7,9 by 50) and then 4 x 25's fast 1-2 breaths. It was a great workout and I really enjoyed the company. I don't know the last time I swam at 2pm and looked forward to going to the pool. Typically, if i don't swim early in the morning there is no chance I will get in the pool in the afternoon. I guess I need a swim buddy!
Well, the last two days have been great. So nice to be back but i feel like i have a gazillion things to do now that it is spring break. Well, I guess I should get back to things....