Skip to main content

3:35

I'm starting to think twice about my Marathon goal time. With only 1 week to go I am wondering if I did enough to prepare.
I think the marathon is one of the hardest races out there. I even think the Ironman is more comfortable than a solo marathon. Out of the 2 marathons I have done (Miami and Boston) and the two Ironmna's I have done (IMFL and Kona) I was more sore after the marathons than the IM's. I just think it is so hard to just start running and finish after 26.2 miles. I still love long distance running but it sure does hurt. I just can't seem to recover after marathon training.
On saturday I did my last long run. I think I should have ran longer but the last hour was long enough. I did 2 hours and 35 minutes and the first 90 minutes went by really fast. It was that last hour, on my familiar turf (I ran the first 90 min. on new roads) that become very boring.
I did have time to think about lots of stuff and with my radio keeping me zoning out, I didn't stop once. I was really proud of myself because I wasn't even tempted to stop and rest. Only a few jogs in place for the lights by my place but that was it. The best part of my run was when Karel road by me for a few minutes after he finished his ride. What great timing! He asked how I was feeling and I told him I was so happy to be on the street where we lived. I guess my 7-7.5 mph pace was too slow for him on his Trek TT bike so he beat me home by a few minutes. I was pretty sore most of the day but I had lots to do to keep me busy.
I waited anxiously for Karel to get home from work so that we could watch the Ironman on NBC (which I taped on my DVR). I always get so inspired by watching Kona and every year I say "that was the best one yet!". I think I have a new appreciation of watching the race since I some how hobbled my way to the finish line in 2007 but the stories and the people who race IM (each and everyone of them) are just amazing. I think it takes a lot to be a triathlete and no matter what the distance, it is an amazing sport to be apart of.
This morning I new I wasn't going to have a good ride with the guys so I prepared myself (and Karel) that I wouldn't ride the entire ride with him. I think he could tell that I was very sore because I was also a bit moody and tired. During the ride I just kept my mouth shut but after 27 miles it was time to turn around. I made the decision at that point because Jeff told Curtis and Karel that they would each rotate for 3 min each. Yep, my time to head back home. I will have none of that, even if I was drafting.
Unfortunatly my ride home was not easy and with head wind for a solid 23 miles I just listened to my music and new that eventually I would be home. I survived a long weekend of training but I couldn't help but think that a 2:35 run and 50 mile ride is going to be an easy weekend as I train for IMKY. Good thing I have many more months to go.