Skip to main content

Probiotics



I think I have at least 6 ounces of yogurt a day. I can't even remember the last time I haven't had a little yogurt at least once a day, for the past few years (yes, I am including yogurt ice cream). I love yogurt! I am a big fan of yogurt because it is filled with healthy bacteria (low sugar is recommended).
I had to go the vitamin shop a few weeks ago because Karel needed Flex cream (he can't live without it). I don't shop much for supplements because Wal-mart has my whey protein and fish oil capsules and Hammer has all my sports nutrition products. However, if you put me in the nutrition store I am bound to read labels and see what is the latest and greatest product(s). I spent a lot of time at the amino acid section but the probiotics caught my eye. I have read about probiotics and my good friend Cassandra Forsythe is a fan of them. You may know of Cass from two books which she just published:
New rules of lifting for women
The perfect body diet
Here is her website http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/. She is one of the smartest females I know and we love being the young females in a sports nutrition society filled with males.
Anyways, I ended up buying two bags of Trail mix and a bottle of Nature's Life
Cranberry Pro-96 Acidophilus. The consistency of the product is a bit like really liquidy yogurt but when added to water or a smoothie you don't even realize that you are drinking something so good for your body.
Here is the profile of the product we have:
Purified water, super red Pro-96, soy protein blend(identity preserved soy protein isolate(including lecithin), fructose, phytored blend(cranberry concentrate, natural flavor, cherry juice, red grape juice, raspberries, red beets, tomato juice, red bell pepper and acerola berries), fiberzyme blend(psyllium seed husks, apple pectin, oat fiber, bromelain enzyme and papain enzyme, natural cranberry concentrate, live Lactobacillus culture(lacidophillus, L-Bulgaricus, L-Thermophilus, l-rhamnosus, bifidobacterium lactis, bifidum and infantis) and Fructooligosaccharides.
Not only is it filled with great ingredients and only 25 calories per serving, but it is filled with all of the amino acids (and you know how much I love amino acids).
Your body is filled with bacteria and microorganismas and probiotics refer to foods which contain the beneficial bacteria. Yogurt is extremely high in probiotics and you may see a lot of dairy products listing "probiotics" on the package. Although you have healthy bacteria in your body, a supplement form of probiotics may help you further protect yourself from harmful bacteria.
I believe that being healthy isn't just about what you look like on the outside. One of the common concerns I have with athletes is wanting a lean body but not being able to do anything with it. It is fine to look a certain way but you want to provide your body with the best nutrients possible in order to peform well and to stay healthy. Even at your goal weight, it sucks being sick in bed or with an injured body part.
Keep yourself healthy this holiday season and pick up some probiotics. Because I am not a big advocator of supplements, be sure you are eating healthy more often than not so that you don't let the holiday eating get the best of you.