Skip to main content

My head hurts

I've been so busy I have a nagging headache that won't go away. Actually, it really isn't a headache because my head just hurts from too much thinking.
I've been working on my dietetic internship packet for over 3 straight weeks and I am so ready to turn it in! I am not submitting the packet until Sept when I apply to the Mayo Clinic for a possible internship but I have a deadline on the 14th for my dietetic course. Almost finished!
I've been swamped with nutrition and coaching which I prioritize over everything else in my life. I LOVE helping people with training and I love answering questions. More so, I love the results people have when we finally figure out the best way to use food for fuel. I am so lucky to have found my passion (and purpose) in life.
I had a great time with my parents and I put in a few great days of training. Sunday I was feeling good and met up with the Gearlink group for a 72 mile ride. Afterwards, I had planned to run 20 min alone before running with Campy. I had all of my running gear out in my parents garage so I wouldn't surprise Campy when I came home from my bike. Well, as I was putting on my shoes I could hear him crying through the door. So, my 45 min run turned into a 29 min run with Campy and I think it was better that way. I probably would have cut the run short anyways cause after the IG race on sat (plus an hour easy run after the race) I was ready for my pancakes at noon on Sunday.
Mon I drove back to Jax and took the entire day off. I needed it!
On Tues, I woke up to 20+ mph gusts of wind and very cold weather. Seriously..it is April! Ok-so it was only 46 degrees but it is April and I was just getting use to my tan lines from my jersey and shorts. I bundled up and headed out for a 25 mile ride. I could not do any more than warm-up and my main set, even though I usually do 30-37 miles on Tuesdays. The set was 6 x 5 min w/ 3 min recoveries and there were times when I could barely pedal into the headwind. After the bike I did a 32 min run and surprisingly, I felt great. The run off the bike is getting easier and easier and now I look forward to it. If only I could look forward to those interval bike rides rather than thinking about suffering.
This morning I ran my intervals and luckily, I had no pain in my legs. Of course my brain was busy thinking about all the school work I have to do this week but that's ok..at least my legs were moving and my heart was pumping. Even at 5am I love starting my day with a run. Oh, I did knock over my coffee, right as I was getting keys to leave my place at 4:40am, which was not a good way to start my day.
After the run came the swim. Libby (my good friend who is training for IMWI) and I were amazed that we only have one speed when we swim. When we pace our swim we come in at 1:20. When we try to sprint we are stuck at 1:17. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but we just laugh when we have to go 100% all-out just to break 1:15. We decided that we only have one speed and we will never be sprinters. We went 1:14 a few times but we much prefer the 1:17-1:20 pace.
The main set was 3x's (4 x 100s). The cycle was 1:50 so we got plenty of rest but we had to descend each 100 and go under 1:20 for all of them. After a 3100, I was ready for a shower.
Now, time to start my day. Karel is training hard for his big race week of the season at the end of April. Karel is doing the Athens Twilight crit for the third year in a row but this year is more special because he didn't have to ask to race. Now that he is a category 1 rider, he is allowed to sign up for the "BIG" races. The twilight crit is in Athens Ga and is the longest and fastest crit in the US. The race starts at 8:45pm and lasts until 10:45!!! Way past my bedtime. Karel just hopes to make as many loops as he can, considering that last year he almost got lapped before he even got over the starting line. With 150 riders on a 1K course, averaging over 27mph, I can see why Karel is already having nightmares for this race. After the crit, Speed week starts. 7 races in 8 days. Karel will be racing 5 out of 7 (because he has to work here in Jax) and we will be traveling all the way to GA, SC and NC for those races. Talk about a road trip!

So, my head is not hurting so much now that I got some of my thoughts out of head.
I hope everyone is training hard and enjoy April!
By the way, Campy is super happy...nothing new :)