Skip to main content

A little R&R

My weekend away is almost done. Like always, I LOVE being with my parents. I wish Karel was here to make us laugh and to explain the tour to my parents but it was nice to get away from my normal routine.
As far as R&R, there was lots of bike riding (60 miles on sat and sun) and a 4000 solo swim with 4 sets of 5 x 100's on Fri. My leg is almost healed but nervous to run. Libby told me to try to run/walk today but I am too scared so I will wait until tomorrow. Wish me luck!
After my bike workouts, I jumped into the pool to do a little water jogging and stretching. I love having a pool all to myself.
One thing that didn't relax was my brain. Too much homework and projects. I have an exam tomorrow in Advanced Nutrition and I am overwhelmed with the all of the steps of glycolysis and the krebs cycle (which I have learned at least 10 times and there is always something new, and confusing, to learn each time), the steps for breaking down fiber in the digestive tract, the many kinds of fats and what they do in the body and how they are broken down and my favorite (and most confusing chapter)...PROTEIN! I am also working on a paper for my Adv. Nutrition course and because I can pick the topic, I think I went through 10 different topics that I wanted to learn more about. I wanted to stay along the lines of athletic performance because I enjoy reading new research that I can apply to myself and recommend to other athletes. As I started to read research about the branch chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine-which can be metabolized in the muscle and used for fuel, as oppose to other non essential amino acids that are usually broken down in the liver) I found a lot of research about supplemental Leucine and its ergogenic (performance enhancing) effects on performance. As I read more research, I will let everyone know what I find.

So, since I don't have proof that I did much relaxing (oh yeah, I also cleaned the inside of my car. Vacuumed, scrubbed, cleaned to the max!), someone did the relaxing for me...