Skip to main content

Broccoli Stir Fry

I think many people can relate to my feelings of Broccoli...it isn't the most exciting vegetable to prepare or eat. Then again, many people don't enjoy tofu the way that I LOVE tofu. However, for those who do love Broccoli, it is easy to add to any meal and it goes great with salsa or cheese for a healthy snack.
As you can probably tell, I get very excited about my creations and I love preparing my meals. I do have a lot of favorite veggies and items in my recipes (which I could eat every day and never get bored) but I am always up for new recipes and new creations.
In order for me to get excited to eat broccoli at my meal, I decided to add it to my favorite recipes. If I could make one suggestion for adding new healthy ingredients to your meals (or making healthier meals all together), swap out something not-so healthy for something healthy. Think heart health when you swap out your item. If you have a food that is high in fat, sugar or calories, swap that one food for something rich in healthy fats, low in sugar or low in calories. If you are used to eating fatty meat, swap it out for lean meat or even vegetarian/soy products. If you enjoy a lot of cheese with your meal, choose part-skim cheese or a little olive oil for a healthy fat option. I think this strategy works well, mentally, because you can see that you are eating your favorite foods but at the same time you are making realistic healthy changes that are easy to stick with overtime. If you typically eat a healthy diet but get bored with the same foods day after day, don't be afraid to sneak in new healthy foods to your favorite recipes.
I decided to add broccoli to my favorite tofu and couscous veggie stir-fry. But, as I got started with my recipe I decided that I would dress up the broccoli to give it more flavor.
The recipe turned out great and I am now onto day 3 of eating broccoli at dinner! My mom would be so proud of me :) Broccoli is her FAVORITE veggie.


Broccoli Stir Fry

Broccoli:
1 bunch broccoli
2 tsp fresh ground horseradish
1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp olive oil

1. In a small non-stick skillet, place broccoli and olive in pan and cook on medium heat.
2. After 5 minutes, add soy sauce, caraway seeds and horseradish and stir until combined.
3. Cook 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.



Couscous:
Cook according to package.
1)Boil water while your veggies are cooking, turn off water, add couscous and cover. 2)Fluff with fork.




Veggie and tofu stir-fry:
Red beans
Chickpeas
1/2 container Tofu
Onions
Corn
Mushrooms
Green pepper
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 - 1 tbsp olive oil

1. In a large non-stick skillet, cook all ingredients for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
(Prepare as much as you want of each of the veggies...plan ahead to make leftovers)

To prepare meal:
Add 1 cup veggies to your bowl. Add some of broccoli mixture.


Top with 1/4 couscous.