Skip to main content

Kona Countdown 3 days: Up, up and away....

I am writing this on Mon evening but when you read this, it is likely that Karel, me and our bikes will be making our long trip to the big island. Our plane leaves super early so that makes for a 3:45am wake-up call, a hopeful smooth check-in with luggage and two bikes and a 6am lift off for the first of three flights. ETA 4:30pm Kona time (10:30pm EST)...hopefully with two bikes :)
Bags are packed and I have PLENTY of TriMarni food to keep our blood sugar stable and bellies happy throughout our 19 hour day. I'm super excited to get there and see my parents, who arrive 1 hour after us. We are staying at a condo, about .5 miles from the start/finish so that makes for easy walking to Ironman village. My furry (and fishy) crew will be well-taken care of when we are away but I'm already missing my furry best friend. It's always hard to leave Campy but Karel has been keeping me in good spirits, telling me that it is time for Campy to go to "Camp" as he will be able to play with his furry best friend Bman (Beethoven) at Laura's house.



My last meal in Jacksonville, FL was super scrumptious and left me feeling great as I relaxed with Karel. After over 13 months of waiting, the time is finally here and we are heading to Kona!!
Karel's plate:
Fresh bread w/ hummus and chopped garlic
Edamame
Carrots
Salmon patty (courtesy of Whole Foods)
Rice (not pictured)

My plate:
Bed of romaine
Black beans
Rice
Sweet potato fries (made in the oven, tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with no-salt seasoning and a pinch of sea salt and pepper)
Grilled tofu (made in oven, sprinkled with paprika and crushed fresh garlic)
Tomatoes
Onions
Fresh cheese (shredded)
Edamame (not pictured - snacked on it w/ hummus while cooking this meal)


Since I have lots of reading to keep me occupied on our trip (in addition to a new book of Sudoku), I thought I would share a few of my latest articles. I hope you enjoy them!

Taking Your “Plate” to the Big Island : LAVA Magazine


Getting spicy in the kitchen


Kona By the Numbers : LAVA Magazine

If you want to follow along with all the Kona action, be sure to LIKE Triathlete magazine, LAVA magazine and Ironman World Championship on Facebook. Lots of great articles and info.


Also - my amazing Oakley Women ambassador friends (and myself) would love to share this video with you....What's your athletic/personal goal for 2011 as well as for 2012???