Skip to main content

Carrot Ginger Soup & Celery (in your) smoothie



Julia Child was fearless and creative in the kitchen. If there was one person I wish I had the opportunity to meet, passed away or alive, it would be Julia Child. I could not think of a cooler experience than being in the kitchen with Julia Child and then yumming over a meal with her.


She had this special gift of helping people feel comfortable in the kitchen. And no matter your cooking skills, she made cooking easy and fun no matter the recipe or food.

I have been challenging myself in the kitchen by making homemade soups. I sure do love Amy's Organic soups but my New Year resolution was challenging myself more with recipes. And since I am not one for resolutions, I started this challenge a few weeks before the New Year.

I found this recipe on the Whole Foods Market website and actually followed the entire recipe. I'm not giving up my creativeness in the kitchen as I am not one to follow a recipe or all the ingredients included but I gave this one a go and it came out great!

Don't be afraid in your kitchen. As Julia Child would agree, don't just eat, enjoy your cooking experience!


  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
             Method: 
Heat 1/2 cup broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger, carrots, potato and remaining broth and heat to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. In batches, carefully puree in a blender. Add water or broth if needed to thin to desired consistency. Reheat soup if necessary. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with chives.
               Nutritional Info: 
Per Serving:130 calories (5 from fat)0g total fat0g saturated fat0mg cholesterol220mg sodium,28g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber9g sugar)3g protein

And speaking of being creative.... smoothie-making has no limits! 


It may not be your first choice for a smoothie ingredient but let me tell you how much nutrition you add to your smoothie by adding a stalk or two (chopped) to your smoothie.

You may think it's a "diet" food and has no flavor but celery is perfect for a body in motion.

It adds fiber, potassium, natural sugars and sodium, vitamin A and Calcium and it also acts as a natural anti-inflammatory!

It does not have a strong taste in your smoothie but certainly if you aren't use to this ingredient in your smoothie, you may taste it at first. But, once you learn to appreciate it's powerhouse of nutrients, you will never leave it out of your next smoothie creation.