Skip to main content

Boulder train-cation: day 2


On Tuesday morning, we left our house (off Broadway) around 7:30am with my friend, Katie,
to ride for 2.5 hours. Karel and I were excited for our first ride in Boulder.
The ride started on Broadway and then we turned left on to Lee Hill which took us to Old Stage Road. We had a bit of a kicker of a climb for the first few miles and then a nice descend to catch our breath. As for the rest of the ride, it was beautiful and Karel and I really welcomed the many miles of flat roads. We did a big loop and finished back at our house where we are staying.
Because our ride didn't include a lot of climbing, Karel and I really enjoyed being able to settle into a rhythm. We haven't ridden on flat roads in over a year (since moving to Greenville) so our route was a great treat!
Here are a few pics from our ride. Katie took us by all the Boulder triathlon "hot spots". 






















After the ride, I went for a 40-minute transition run to and around Wonderland Lake Trailhead. My run called for 40 minutes at IM effort and it felt good to run strong off the bike, even at altitude. I was much more comfortable running today at altitude on Tuesday versus running on Monday. 

After my workout, it was time to eat and then after a short rest, it was time to head to the Training Peaks Headquarters. Here are a few behind-the-scene pics inside Training Peaks. 






The Pain Cave!


After our visit (and chat) with our friends at Training Peaks, Karel and I headed near Pearl Street to do some walking around. 

Karel has a shirt from Endurance Conspiracy  and wanted to visit the Boulder store so we visited the store and bought two shirts. 


I didn't buy this tank but I thought the triathletes would appreciate this top. 



Love my new cycling shirt. 


Karel's new shirt. I don't think he can have too many cycling shirts. 



We visited a coffee shop that happened to have huge loaves of bread...and pretzels! 


After our busy day, we headed back home, ate a late lunch and watched the next stage of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge on Universal Sports. 

I spent the rest of the evening laying around with my furry friend (shhh...Rosie isn't allowed on the couch but we didn't tell her owners who were away at work) and Karel went for an early evening run. 


After dinner-in, we watched the 2014 Ironman World Championship (previously recorded) for a little inspiration as to why we are here having fun and training hard. 

Thanks for following along...stay tuned for day 3 of our train-cation....3 workouts (run, swim, bike) and a full day of training in Boulder, CO.