Skip to main content

Gotta love the mind of a triathlete!

After a nice easy spin last night (21 miles and a little tan), I found myself in bed around the normal time (9:30 am - yes, I go to be early, right after American Idol) but extremely tired. I know I have been training hard (lots of miles, easy on the intervals) so I am really looking forward to spending some time with my bro and leaving Seduza and Blue at home to rest. I believe in resting the body every couple of weeks and decreasing mileage, getting more sleep and catching up on normal activities (like washing my car!!!) I don't always take a weekly day off, because I am good about active recovery and allowing enough time for growth and repair. However, if my body says rest..I listen to it! Words that I live by..."I don't HAVE to train, I WANT to train" Therefore, if I don't want to do it, I don't! But, I'm very lucky that I pay attention to proper nutrition, getting enough sleep and preventing injuries so that I can enjoy every training session.
this morning was kinda crazy....let me share. I woke up a little earlier than normal to get in the pool a bit early. Woke up at 4:40am, headed to the Palm Harbor y and the gate was locked!!! what a bummer cause I was ready to swim and instead i found myself in a line of cars waiting to get into the y. Sorry suncoast YmcA but no Y is worth waiting. Good thing I had my bike (BLUE) in the car (the only thing that rides in my backseat of my hyundai) so I killed some time by driving over to the North Pinellas Y as the sun slowly started to rise. I called up Karel and told him my plan on riding over to the Pinellas Trail (about 10 miles from where I parked) and we met on the trail and biked together. so I think he was at 50% of his max heart rate (if that) and I was pushing hard. Well, that's why Karel races Pro and I have aerobars on my seduza. hehe. We had fun and it was a beautiful morning. I headed back to the Y 2 hours later and jumped in the pool for a swim. Gabriela came to the Y as well and we continue to work on her stroke for her future triathlon career (I'm working on her!).
I left the Y around 10 and finished my packing, last minute emails and headed to the airport at 1130 for my flight. Now I'm in Michigan with snow on the ground and bundled up in warm clothes. MY brother took me to a fantastic vegetarian restaurant for dinner cause he said he would never go if I wasn't with him. the food was AWESOME! it is always great when I can eat of another person's plate! and I know the place was good cause when it takes me more than 10 minutes to order and I don't have to ask for a plain salad and an extra bread basket on the side....that is my type of restaurant! YUMMMY!
Looking forward to my morning of swimming in the UNiversity of MIchigan Pool and running. I love 'training' in different places.
Oh-it was funny this morning when I was leaving the Y and some of the swim team members were gathering around their cars talking and deciding what to do instead of swimming. As I was heading to another y to bike and swim, I could hear others saying "this is great, now i can do my long bike ride or now I can do my long run" so, instead of complaining that they got up early and wasted time driving, or rather, that they got up and could have stayed in bed, my fellow triathletes had the right mindset! Making the most of all their time :)